Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm new (of course) to Linux and am wondering about how certain things work in Linux. From what I have read so far, if you have Linux installed on SDA1 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Partitions, Mount Points and Multi-Disk Systems

I'm new (of course) to Linux and am wondering about how certain things work in Linux.

From what I have read so far, if you have Linux installed on SDA1 and then mount partitions from SDA2+, SDB, SCD, they are treated as though they are just part of / (root). Is that correct?

If that is, let me give you an extreme instance and tell me if my logic is wrong:

I install LinuxDistroX on SDA1 and use the entire drive as / (root). During the install, I add a 50 MB SDB1 partition mounted as /home, a 50 MB SDC1 partition mounted as /home and a 50 MB SDD1 partition mounted as /home.

Will my /home directory be 150MB? Will the SDB1 partuition get filled up and then Linux automatically start saving into SDC1 and then SDD1 until all three partitions are full?

The reason I'm asking this is because I am coming from a Win7 build where I had all my OS and important porgram files on my main drive and saved all data, music, webfiles, videos, etc. to my other hard disks. This was very easy and according to what I've read on the web in forums like this, the developers of apps decide where in the file system they want things saved and installed. Logic follows that if this is true, and I want my music files on my SDD disk, then I need to make a /music partition on my SDD drive so that the files just automatically get written there.

If there is an easier/better way to do this, i'm willing to read whatever tutorials/guides/etc. you have available.

Linux Guru
    You started out alright. If you install a Linux system on sda1, then create mount points for partitions on sdb1, sdc1, etc.. they will be available as part of the base system. To clarify, sda refers to the first hard drive, sda1 refers to the first hard drive, first partition. sdb refers to the second hard drive, sdb2 refers to the second hard drive, second partition. Also, case sensitivity is important. If you try to mount using SDA1 it will fail. It needs to be all lower case: sda1.

Your example of /home partitions on a single mount point isn't the way it is normally done. You could look into LVM or you could create separate sub-directories under /home. It depends upon what you will be using the computer for. First 150MB (I assume that's just an example on your part) would be far to little for any standard Linux system. You could create a separate data partition just for movies, pictures, music or whatever data you have.

You could create one partition for the root filesystem and put all the other data on other drives/partitions so that if you have a reinstall or crash of some kind, you can reinstall the system and not lose data.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Read the man page for fstab. When the system boots, it reads /etc/fstab to determine which file systems (discs/partitions) to mount, and where to mount them. The following is my /etc/fstab file, which is more complex than many because I have a lot of file systems (discs) to mount on boot.

Code:
    UUID=0e9c3025-59d3-424e-818f-c305c819b4e7 /                       ext4    defaults        1 1
    UUID=7819b966-a8e6-4d61-87c1-d377e3074bd8 /boot                   ext4    defaults        1 2
    LABEL=swap1                               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
    /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00           /home                   ext3    defaults        1 2
    # LABEL=afs-esata-a1  /mnt/array1                                 ext4    defaults        1 2
    LABEL=afs-ts02      /mnt/ts02                                     ext4    defaults        1 2
    LABEL=afs-esata-1   /mnt/esata1                                   ext4    defaults        0 0
    LABEL=afs-esata-2   /mnt/esata2                                   ext4    defaults        0 0
    LABEL=afs-esata-3   /mnt/esata3                                   ext4    defaults        0 0
    LABEL=afs-esata-4   /mnt/esata4                                   ext4    defaults        0 0
    # LABEL=afs-esata-5   /mnt/esata5                                   ext4    defaults        0 0
    tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
    devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
    sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
    proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close