Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi All, I'll be buying an Asus laptop soon [link below since it is not allowing me to post a link directly], but I have been reading that UEFI bricks ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Asus Laptop

Hi All,

I'll be buying an Asus laptop soon [link below since it is not allowing me to post a link directly], but I have been reading that UEFI bricks some Samsung laptops. Has any body had problems with this laptop? or another newer Asus laptop and UEFI?

Thanks

[delete spaces]
    w w w. newegg.com /Product/Product. aspx ?Item= N82E16834230597
    Last edited by jgezau; 02-02-2013 at 08:03 PM.

Linux Newbie
    No problem. If any problem there is option to disable it

.Link
    Newegg.com - ASUS N56VJ-DH71 Notebook Intel Core i7 3630QM(2.40GHz) 15.6" 8GB Memory 1TB HDD 5400rpm DVD±R/RW NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M

Go to this thread http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...g-laptops.html

and read the posted sites in the end of that thread that shows which gear has been reported to have UEFI Issues.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Thanks, that was an interesting article

Just Joined!
    So I bought the laptop, and I am having wireless problems on Windows. Wireless card is not able to connect to my work's wireless network. Also, at home download speeds are waaaaaayyy to low compared to my Mac's download speeds.

Mac: ~22mbps
    Asus: ~7mbps
    (From Speedtest.net)

Also, downloading Fedora iso in my Mac download time ~1hr and in the Asus ~11hrs. So obviously there must be something wrong with the wireless card or driver. I am thinking about getting a refund.

Someone have any experience returning computers to Amazon? If so, how much refund percentage did you get?

(Frustrated )

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by jgezau View Post
    Someone have any experience returning computers to Amazon? If so, how much refund percentage did you get?
    I've never returned a computer to Amazon but have returned a number of other things and not one time did they give me any trouble. In fact, on lesser expensive items, they told me to keep them and they still refunded 100% of the purchase price. They won't allow you to keep a computer and get a refund too, but I feel pretty sure you won't have any problem returning your laptop should you choose to do so.
    oz

Bummer. Windows 8 is so new the problem may be with just the driver supplied by Asus.
    Anyhows. If paid for through paypal (which is what I usually do). You can get your refund
    through a dispute claim there also besides Amazon like Oz mentions.

You'll need to pay shipping costs though to return it to the dealer. That is why I am glad
    this zif sata SSD hard drive plugged and played into this netbook I am posting from. Shipped from China.
    Good luck with the return.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    So instead of having to go thru the trouble of returning the laptop I decided to replace the wireless card with a better one. Windows recognized the card right away and installed the appropriate drivers. Download speeds are on par with my Mac now and I am happy with the results, plus this new one is dual band, the original one was single band (2.4GHz).

Removing the old card was fairly easy, but installing the new one was really a pain, spend more than an hour trying to get that thing in there and finally decided to make some aesthetic changes

wireless card.jpg pinzas.jpg

I tried to remove the entire cover but one of the screws just wouldn't come out

Now I am ready to install Fedora

After you install Fedora. You might just want to post part numbers of wireless cards in next post. Glad your plan came together. Nice shots.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    I got this card Intel Centrino WiFi Card Advanced-N 6235 Dual Band Bluetooth..

On a side note, upload speeds at work are great, 31Mbps

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast