Find the answer to your Linux question:
I and several of my friends have several older Windows 98 PC's that we want to use for Internet surfing (reading news, weather, etc. - nothing more complicated). Most of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need lightweight Linux distribution for making live CD/flashdrive

I and several of my friends have several older Windows 98 PC's that we want to use for Internet surfing (reading news, weather, etc. - nothing more complicated). Most of these machines have 256 MB RAM. Please recommend the currently most suitable lightweight Linux distribution to either install in these machines or to create live CD or live USB flashdrive (bootable). Many thanks!

Hi and Welcome !

My favorite is AntiX. There is a long list of distros suitable for low specs machines. Slitaz, Damn Small Linux, Puppy, Crux, Slax..... Check this poll too.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

For machines of that size, I would try AntiX, Crunchbang, Lubuntu, and SliTaz, and go with the one I liked best that worked on my system. Puppy linux is also often recommended, but I have never really warmed up to it.
    Registered Linux user #526930

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close