Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm a windows user but have just started taking an interest in Linux. I'm amazed at how much it is used though from what I'm told and have read, it's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile Linux Operating Systems

I'm a windows user but have just started taking an interest in Linux. I'm amazed at how much it is used though from what I'm told and have read, it's an amazing operating system and allot more feature packed than windows. Anyway, I won't make any claims yet.

I'm a little confused.

I want to put Linux on another computer I have to check things out and get used to it. My confusion lies in the fact that Linux is an operating system and so is Ubunta and other names. Or is it that Ubunta is a shell for Linux? If I want to have the best Linux based User Interface with the option of command line use, what should I use? I want to get started but am confused as to how.

Secondly.. Why don't banks and financial institutions switch over to Linux? Or maybe they have in some places, but not everywhere yet. I think it's fantastic how the whole open source thing works and reading about Linux really makes me want to learn more. Thanks to anyone who can clear things up for me.

Hi and welcome

Linux is a kernel and one of many opensource projects.
    Redhat, centos, fedora, ubuntu, debian etc pick several thousand of these projects, package them and create useable systems.
    These systems are called distributions and they differ in e.g. chosen projects, versions of these projects and activated features.
    There are distributions for different usecases (server, workstation, firewall, fileserver etc) and target groups (new user, enduser, sysadmin, professional enterprises, enthusiasts, etc)

They are still called linux, because the tools run under a linux kernel.
    But keep in mind: Most of the open source tools and user interfaces run just as well on a freebsd, solaris, etc kernel as well.
    For example, here is a debian system with a freebsd kernel Debian -- Debian GNU/kFreeBSD
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by tomadom View Post
    Secondly.. Why don't banks and financial institutions switch over to Linux? Or maybe they have in some places, but not everywhere yet..
    Hello and welcome!

Many institutions and municipalities do, especially in certain countries and cities.

Have fun with Linux...
    oz

Just Joined!

Cool Thanks

Well, thanks for that.. Really good explanation. Fast response too. I suppose one question which lingers in the back of my mind is that Linux sounds like a really flexible system and obviously cheaper to run than Windows bases systems. If this is the case then why hasn't it been taken up by so many institutions. All financial institutions I know use windows and windows based software. But,, given the sheer quantity of open source software, the flexibility and variety offered by Linux I would think it the better choice. Organizations would surely have a mountain of potential employees in this area to adapt systems to Linux and develop new distributions for custom use. I can't see how it wouldn't move this way in the long run but I'm wondering what the existing state of affairs is, including the arguments surrounding, the uptake of Linux?
    I'm genuinely interested.

Thanks.

Just Joined!
    Just saw your post come in Oz.. Thanks.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    London Stock Exchange
    The city of Munich
    And a few more

It's being used... despite multi-million $$ marketing budgets from certain proprietary software companies
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Welcome to the forum. In answer to your question. Many banks use linux, often Red Hat, in the back room, but because of the marvelous job MS has done in convincing home users that they have to use windows, the banks need to use windows to interface with their customers.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    Thanks Masontx,,, and you know what.. I agree with what you have said. It's not bad.
    I've set up Linux (Ubuntu 12.10) on a spare computer now and it is great. Ubuntu 12.10 seems to need allot of memory (minimum 756 Meg Ram) but maybe that is in line with Windows 7,8 and Vista. I don't have those windows version, just Windows XP and that only requires maybe 256 or 512 for fluent operation. If the latest version of Ununtu is running on 756 then it's not bad. I really like the interface.

I have a few questions about it but will ask them on another post. Wanting to program in C++ and install code::blocks and a few other things so will need to know how to get around any isssues.

Thanks for coming back. I'm really happy to finally take up Linux.

Cheers.

Just Joined!
    Hi tomadom, I have been a windows user, currently OSX user, and soon will be full time Linux user. I have tinkered with Linux for some time now, mostly in VMs, and really like it and I'm with you, Linux is great

Linux Newbie
    When it comes to linux there isnt really a "best" solution for everyone its all about customization. Built upon the kernel and the bare bones core user land utilities there are multiple solutions for every problem. Want a Desktop Environment there many full environments such as KDE4 and Gnome3 and Lightweight environments Like XFCE LXDE MATE, or you can just use a lightweight window manager to display GUI's. Dont like bash as your command line you can switch to ksh, zsh, csh, etc. Its users choice

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast