Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, I will be installing Fedora this week in my new laptop, and I've been doing a lot of reading here and there about partitions and would like to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

partition scheme

Hi guys,

I will be installing Fedora this week in my new laptop, and I've been doing a lot of reading here and there about partitions and would like to get some input from you all. The following is my tentative partition scheme in a 1TB disk and 8GB RAM

/ - 30GB
    Swap - 12GB
    Windows 8 - 100GB
    /home - rest of the disk

I've also read about having two more partitions, one for apps and other one for configurations, this way when the time comes for upgrading or reinstalling OS, my apps and configurations will not change and I would like to do that, but I'm not sure what additional directories I would need to set up (or partition) in order to Accomplish This. I would appreciate your thoughts

Thanks

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello

With 8GB of RAM, you may or may not need the swap partition, depending on your own user habits. I've had lots of machines with 8 gigs of RAM and never used or needed any swap space. Otherwise you should be fine with it as listed. Of course, if you have room to spare on the hard disk, having the swap space isn't going to hurt anything.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Hi oz, thanks for the reply. I have enough hard disk space and having the swap partition will not hurt at all

Linux Engineer
    Consider leaving a few gigs unpartitioned in case you want to test out a new distro in the future.
    I would give Windows more space, as it's a hungry OS and you have more than enough space on your disk. I'd say 150-200, that will give you plenty of room, and keep you from having to ever change it.

If you are upgrading your distro, you're going to have to reinstall your apps most likely. Just backup the config files and other files the app creates. I wouldn't attempt to try to hack installed packages into another distro, that would just take forever and be very buggy at best.

oz
    forum.guy
    If it's not needed for the system, saving some space on the drive as mizzle suggests above is a good idea. I personally like to keep all my data on at least a separate partition, but preferably on a completely separate hard drive. It's easier to back it all up that way, and I feel safer than with having it on the same drive or partition as the system itself.
    oz