Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, im a newbie to to world of linux,I heard that RHEL is the best to begin with,but updates need registration.But i want to know if there is any alternative ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which Linux Distro is best to learn?

Hi, im a newbie to to world of linux,I heard that RHEL is the best to begin with,but updates need registration.But i want to know if there is any alternative to RHEL

Trusted Penguin
    Yes, CentOS. It is a binary-compatible clone of RHEL. Perfect for you needs. They have regular updates over the internet, a great user base, and tones of 3rd party software.

There is also ScientificLinux, another RHEL clone.

oz
    forum.guy
    Fully in agreement with atreyu here, and would go with CentOS if I was wanting to install the closest thing to RHEL without having to pay for subscription updates/support. I've never installed Scientific but it should be a close match as well.

Don't know for sure, but wonder if all the various Linux courses that are available allow students to use alternatives such as CentOS/Scientific?
    oz

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    Don't know for sure, but wonder if all the various Linux courses that are available allow students to use alternatives such as CentOS/Scientific?
    When I took the RHEL CSA and CE courses, they provided me with a free copy of RHEL 6 that I could install at home. No free RHN login, though. After having taken the course, I'm pretty sure I would have been fine using CentOS in its place.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by shreesh View Post
    Hi, im a newbie to to world of linux,I heard that RHEL is the best to begin with,but updates need registration.But i want to know if there is any alternative to RHEL
    If you want to just learn the basics of Linux, then I suggest starting with Linux Mint. It's based on Ubuntu and includes a lot of nonfree (as in, it may have license restrictions such as proprietary drivers, but it does not cost money) software required to make some things work. The worst thing to do when trying to learn linux is troubleshooting hardware on day one.

Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    If you want to just learn the basics of Linux, then I suggest starting with Linux Mint. It's based on Ubuntu and includes a lot of nonfree (as in, it may have license restrictions such as proprietary drivers, but it does not cost money) software required to make some things work. The worst thing to do when trying to learn linux is troubleshooting hardware on day one.
    I agree 10 gatrillion percent.

One of the worst mistakes I made was getting sucked in to hardware trouble shooting on day because it turned out I had hardware issues and didn't know it. And there's no way I would have known that because it was day 1.

Clem has done a bang up job making Mint a good place for people to start.

And my personal preference here: Stay away from RHEL and anything built on rpm; especially starting out. IMO that whole package management system is a cluster****. If you need to learn it for work or school then put CentOS in to a virtual machine so that when it goes KFB you don't have to start over from scratch.

Personally, I have no problems using anything from the RH family. I started out using Fedora Core 6, and used stayed with Fedora for several releases before really looking elsewhere.
    CentOS will be a great fit if you're looking specifically for RHEL alternatives.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    CentOS will be a great fit if you're looking specifically for RHEL alternatives.
    Exactly. And considering that RHEL has the market share when it comes to Enterprise Linux, it is probably a good idea to at least familiarize yourself with it, and not treat it like it was cooties. IMO, the best thing to do would be to expose yourself to both RPM and Debian based systems, that would cover your bases nicely (at least from the perspective of package management and system initialization/service management) as it would include RHEL, CentOS, Ubuntu/Mint, Debian, SUSE and all their derivatives.

So, for example, having a CentOS VM and a Mint VM installed would probably serve you well. Of course, starting off, you're best off choosing one. So try a few of them by using their Live DVD functionality (or install them to VMs) and play w/them, until you are swayed one way or the other. That is a very common thing to do, these days.

"Which is best?" is constantly heard in the various linux forums of which this is just one. The answer is as variable as both the Original Poster and his hardware, and as subjective as the ones responding to the OP's question.

My personal response is (firstly) to ask, "What is your hardware and what do you want to do with GNU/Linux?
    Second, "Which do you value most -- freedom or money?" This may seem irrelevant, but it is important, beleve it or not.
    Thirdly, do you believe what you hear or would you rather decide for yourself?
    Lastly, is software choice of paramount or of secondary importance to you, OP?

Once these preliminaries are satisfied, then one may proceed to answer subjectively.
    "What you think about me is none of my business"