Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Originally Posted by oz That appears to be it, especially with a size of 71.4KB where the current kernel is getting closer to 50MB in size. For me it was ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Either at home or at work or down the pub

Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    That appears to be it, especially with a size of 71.4KB where the current kernel is getting closer to 50MB in size.
    For me it was the version of 0.01
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Quote Originally Posted by adorn View Post
    Yes..! Top to bottom approach never seems to work for me. and anyway even if I decide to go with current kernel.. reaching actual core kernel would take most of my time.
    So better I start from the first things..

Also I am not being able to subscribe to mailing lists.. could anyone help me in that..?

Thanks
    Adorn
    Yeah, trying to read the kernel's code now, as it sits, with god knows how many additions and modifications pushed into it, is ridiculously complex and time consuming without base knowledge...but that being said, the original kernel may not give you that as its been restructured a few times over the years. .01 and current are wayyyy different, I wouldn't say current is a superset than .01 by any means, you know?

If you're really into learning about the kernel I would pick up a book TBH. Something like this: 0470343435 (isbn).

Though there's certainly nothing wrong with looking at .01 to get an idea of how it all was born!

@elija: Thanks! ^_^

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by adorn View Post
    ... I want to get into the thinking of what Linus sir thought when he sat down and wrote very first kernel ...
    Then perhaps Just for Fun: The Story of an Accidental Revolutionary: Linus Torvalds, David Diamond: 9780066620732: Amazon.com: Books would be useful.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2