Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Hello All, I am fairly new to linux development. I want to compile the very first linux kernel ---kernel 0.91. I am aware that it is going to be tough ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation where to find source code ?

Hello All,

I am fairly new to linux development. I want to compile the very first linux kernel ---kernel 0.91.

I am aware that it is going to be tough to compile it on xx386 machine. But i think this can be done.

I searched on Google as well on Kernel.org but all seem to show oldest kernel as 0.99 or something in that range. Doesn't anybody have source code of Kernel that Linus Sir wrote..?

Thanks
    Adorn

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I found this on kernel.org but it doesn't have 0.91 although it does have older.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

oz
    forum.guy
    hello and welcome!

you can probably join the kernel mailinglist and get on there to find someone that has a copy of the first kernel source code, or someone knows where it can be obtained.

even linus himself may have it stored off somewhere.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks for the replies..

I am really started to find this difficult(Well, nobody told me it will b easy.. lol)..

According to link given by elija and kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/Historic/old-versions/RELNOTES-0.01 release notes this is the first linux kernel.

But you see.. what i found last night is informatica.co.cr/linux-distributions/research/1994/0129.html which states "Changes from 0.90 to 0.91:". SO which is the VERY VERY FIRST kernel..? I had read the other day that 0.91 is the oldest and it seemed to make sense because of the year of birth..

My thinking is directed towards -> there must be some naming convention or so..
    Note that I am not asking for first 386 compliant; even if it is 286 - its fine with me. I want to get into the thinking of what Linus sir thought when he sat down and wrote very first kernel. Thats why I am so much wanting first only!

And I am surprised with searching forums that why people have not asked for this code? i've almost read 200+ forum posts; not only this forum but others too..but no luck..

@oz: your suggested option is the only think hopeful now..

Thanks
    Adorn

I would guess that 0.01 is the very first version of the kernel. The 0.91 you found is the first release of the Debian distribution, which will be interesting in it's own right.

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Linux Newbie
    adorn

Current kernel sources are always available from every distribution so "everybody" knows where to get it.

Linus Torvalds' first efforts were with an OS called MINUX. It was his work there that was combined with Richard Stallman's work to become GNU/Linux which is the "real" name of what most of us now call Linux. Linus provided the kernel and Richard provided pretty much everything else that enabled it all to become the gem that we all know and love today.

Happy hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by voidpointer69 View Post
    adorn

Current kernel sources are always available from every distribution so "everybody" knows where to get it.

Linus Torvalds' first efforts were with an OS called MINUX. It was his work there that was combined with Richard Stallman's work to become GNU/Linux which is the "real" name of what most of us now call Linux. Linus provided the kernel and Richard provided pretty much everything else that enabled it all to become the gem that we all know and love today.

Happy hunting!
    I don't believe that's how it went down.

While from what I understand, Linus was taught by Tannenbaum (sp?), who was the creator of Minux, Linus didn't develop Miniux. If you google it there's a 'debate' between Torvalds and him over kernel structuring (monolithic vs micro). Not sure when this happened in relation to the Linux kernel development, but I'm sure you can look it up. So yeah, he was 'inspired' by Minux I guess, but from what I understand Linux started as his own project, for himself. He never originally intended for it to go public and from what I understand at the time it didn't have anything to do with Minux other than possible influences. But then, yes, people started adding the GNU tools and it snow-balled into awesomeness.

Don't believe the OP is looking for current sources, though, he wants what Linus originally had, what he started with. Before it had any extra stuff, even a TCP stack, even before utilities.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndacate View Post
    Don't believe the OP is looking for current sources, though, he wants what Linus originally had, what he started with. Before it had any extra stuff, even a TCP stack, even before utilities.
    Yes..! Top to bottom approach never seems to work for me. and anyway even if I decide to go with current kernel.. reaching actual core kernel would take most of my time.
    So better I start from the first things..

Also I am not being able to subscribe to mailing lists.. could anyone help me in that..?

Thanks
    Adorn

The very first released kernel is this one at kernel.org.
    Syndacate likes this.

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    The very first released kernel is this one at kernel.org.
    That appears to be it, especially with a size of 71.4KB where the current kernel is getting closer to 50MB in size.
    oz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast