Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
The Cinnamon edition is just Gnome 3 in a fancy coat. So while more traditional it is really limited in the same way. Maybe in a later version the devs ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Either at home or at work or down the pub

The Cinnamon edition is just Gnome 3 in a fancy coat. So while more traditional it is really limited in the same way. Maybe in a later version the devs will get that sorted - or maybe there is a plug in. Anyhoo, the Mate edition is far better as Mate is a fork of Gnome 2 which is (IMO) the best desktop ever.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

whs
    Just Joined!
    Thanks elija. I'll try that too.

Linux Guru
    Just in case Mint does not trip your trigger Before the zif pata platter 3200rpm hard drive died on my M&A companion Netbook. I was running SolusOS on it. It is also a fork of Gnome 2 with Debian stable repos and Solusos repos in /etc/apt/sources.list. It ran OK on that Atom powered 2gig ram 9" netbook. I watched movies and listened to music ok (even with Pithos ,(a gui for pandora radio) ).

SolusOS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

. Looked at your video. I live in the desert so your place looks pretty enchanting to me. I think a found out the problem on that RCA Scenium M50WH185YX1 TV. I tore the back apart. Rigged the rear panel door micro switch to make it think the rear panel was on. Powered it up. The internal lamp comes on for a few seconds
    and goes out. The cooling fans run OK. All 3 of them. I checked input voltage on the cable going into the ballast circuit board for the lamp. It is 300+ VDC going to the circuit board.

Since the lamp lights and cuts out in like 2 seconds and recycles and does the same thing over again with constant 300+ VDC going to the ballast circuit board.
    I am betting the ballast circuit board went bad. We have had this TV since brand new. The wife bought it for $2,000.00. So guess what.

I am gonna fix it. The wife is going to buy another LCD TV since the price dropped since they came out. I am going to make it a 50 monitor
    and use one of my linux Desktop computers with it and run Hulu Desktop,Miro, PlayonLinux, and what ever else my 12 year old brain
    in this neanderthal bikers body can think of. First test will be with my eeepc 701SD as the display TV input.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    whs
    Just Joined!
    Looks like you have your job cut out with that TV. Don't we love these honeydews.

I did install the Mint Mate system (piece of cake in VMware). It is not bad. But I still have the same problem - everything is black writing on grey background. Since I only have 40% vision, that is a challenge for me. And I have not yet found a way to change the whole skin. Maybe you have a hint for me where to look.

Btw: I have no lack of system muscle. I am running on an 8GB RAM, i7, all SSDs system which is super fast. Boot time even for Windows 7 is 15 seconds and a total reboot is 23 seconds including the BIOS time.

Nice system there...

Fire up the package manager and have a look for Mate themes. If all else fails Control Centre -> Appearance and click Customise

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

whs
    Just Joined!
    In Appearance there was not much to set. I'll try the package manager. Thanks again.

There is quite a lot under customise, including all the colours which should solve your black on grey issue.

If you do prefer Cinnamon then have a look at the official site which has themes and add-ons that may solve some of your problems. I believe you can install them through the Cinnamon control panel.

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

whs
    Just Joined!
    Actually I think that Mate is a bit better than Cinnamon - for my taste at least. If I can make the skin look like in my Zorin, then I might go with it. Have to work on it during the week. Right now the wife dished out too many honeydews.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2