Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I installed Zorin in VMware Player and that worked very well. I have documented the whole procedure but cannot yet post the link - need 15 posts. In addition I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    whs
    Just Joined!

I am a real noobie

I installed Zorin in VMware Player and that worked very well. I have documented the whole procedure but cannot yet post the link - need 15 posts.

In addition I moved the whole installation to an external drive so that I can run it on any other PC too. I also run Windows 8 that way. My host is Windows 7. This tutorial I will also post at a later time.

So far so good. After all that I setup Zorin. Because of the Windows-like Start and the taskbar I was not too much alienated and my system looks pretty nice now. I even managed to make a small picture show with Impress and I also imported a few of my .ppsx files to run with Impress.

My first problem: Impress does not play the music of my .ppsx files. Those are .wav files or .mp3 files with a .wav header. Would anybody know what could be the cause.

My second problem is with the program installation. I installed a couple of programs but then I did no know where they had ended up. Docky I finally found in Accessories and BleachBit in System Tools. Isn't there a better way to trace down downloaded programs. This wild goose chase is no fun.

My third problem may be minor for 90% of the users. But I have poor eyesight and this minuscule cursor is really hard to see. I already enabled the trace when pressing CTL but I would prefer a larger cursor. In the mouse settings of the System Settings there is no option to change the size of the cursor.

If anybody has answers to the above, I would appreciate their input.

Linux Guru
    You can use the find command with options, you can use locate or my favorite, whereis the example below:

whereis libreoffice
    libreoffice: /usr/bin/libreoffice3.4-printeradmin /usr/bin/libreoffice3.4

whs
    Just Joined!
    Thanks yancek. I found the bits but it is not what I would call 'convenient'. Especially if you want to keep it 'in sight' for running all the time.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    For the mouse cursor issue when using Gnome 2 go to Control Centre -> Appearance and click Customise. From there you can click the pointer tab and there should be a size slider at the bottom.

For the finding things issue, it appears that you mean in the menu after it has been installed? In such case, I thought the Zorin menu had a search capability? I'm basing that purely on screen shots as I haven't actually used Zorin.

For the media, the VLC player has handled every file I've thrown at it. Another possibility is deadbeef which supports a large number of audio formats. I've never heard of ppsx though.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

whs
    Just Joined!
    Thank you elija for taking the time to answer.

1. In My 'Appearance', there is no 'Customize - see picture

2013-02-21_1127.jpg

2. Yes there is a search field like in Win7, but it does nothing.

3. .pptx and .ppsx files are PowerPoint files that do work in Impress to a certain point. Only the timing (which you can simulate with the left clicks) and the audio does not work. The audio files are .wav which can also be used in Impress shows (as I have found out in the meantime) and play well there. So I guess it is not an incompatibility related to the codec. But if you export the .odp files (Impress files) to PowerPoint, it cannot play the music either. So I guess it is just a different way those music files are being treated.

This is unfortunate because I get a lot of those PP shows in my mail and now I have no music. Here is an example of a .ppsx show. This is an uploaded show to authorSTREAM which plays in your browser.

authorstream.com/Presentation/whs37-1306547-bbq/
    Sorry I had to post the link in this strange way. But I do not have 15 posts yet and they do not let me post links yet. The 40.000 posts I have in other technical forums do not count.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    1. That looks like it might be Gnome 3 so if there isn't a mouse applet in the setting then you are probably S.O.L. as you seem to want to use Gnome in a way the Gnome developers have decreed you shall not; unless the other Gnome 3 user knows better.

2. See above

If you haven't invested too much effort in to Zorin, may I suggest having a look at Linux Mint Mate edition?
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

whs
    Just Joined!
    Thanks, I'll have a look at Mint. I had tried that a couple of years ago and was not impressed. But maybe it changed. I will install it in a virtual partition and see what it is. The tough part is to install the VMware tools. Which desktop do you recommend. Cinnemon seems to be the latest. I hope those commands will work:

sudo mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom
    cp /media/cdrom/VMware*.tar.gz /tmp
    sudo umount /media/cdrom
    cd /tmp
    tar xzvf VMware*.gz
    cd vmware-tools-distrib/
    sudo ./vmware-install.pl

whs
    Just Joined!
    @ elija, As you had recommended I installed Mint - the Cinnamon flavor. I played around with it and made the basic settings. But I think it is not as suited for me as Zorin. For one, a lot of windows come up with a grey background and black writing which I cannot decypher very well (I have only 40% vision). And then there were a few settings I could not even find.

I changed the themes around, but that did not help a lot. Also the taskbar does not seem to allw pinning programs and folders to it. I think I will stay with Zorin. Have a look how much fun I have with it:

sevenforums.com/chillout-room/276418-having-fun-zorin.html#post2275421
    Sotty for the unusual way of posting a link. But since I do not yet have 15 postings, they don't let me post a full link. But if you paste the above into a browser, it should work.

Linux Guru
    Having fun with Zorin - Windows 7 Support Forums

BBQ Ppt Presentation

I don't have the time tonight to check out your links whs. I be busy troubleshooting a

http://images.highspeedbackbone.net/...-main02-am.jpg

tonight and tomorrow. I think the color wheel has gone bad.

I don't do much with LibreOffice or Impress. I just figured I get your links clickable and posted.

whs
    Just Joined!
    That was very kind of you. Thank you very much. And don't worry about Impress. It is probably inherent in the different ways those programs store the music.

And yes, those modern TVs are a complex wonder of technology. My neighbors have one of those 55" smart TVs and after 6 months they have still not figured it out. Fortunately I don't have that problem. I do not watch TV - too many commercials.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast