Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HROAdmin26
I'm supposed to research iSCSI enclosures that can be used to host Linux but I keep coming up blank with my search engine. Can anyone point me in the right ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation iSCSI SAN Enclosures that can be used to host Linux?

I'm supposed to research iSCSI enclosures that can be used to host Linux but I keep coming up blank with my search engine. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Assuming your computer has an iSCSI controller, then this should be reasonably easy to accomplish with any iSCSI enclosure. Most systems these days are going to sata or sas controllers, but iSCSI are not uncommon for server-class systems. Any enterprise-class Linux system with a 2.6.18 or later kernel ( RHEL 6.x is at 2.6.32, RHEL 5.x is using 2.6.18 ) should have drivers built-in for this. The question is what controller are you using? If you boot a live CD/DVD/USB drive, then the lspci command should show what hardware is in the system. On my RHEL 6.3 system (actually, Scientific Linux 6 - a clone of RHEL), there is support built-in for probably a dozen different iSCSI controllers.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Guru
    iSCSI is a protocol that defines how to package SCSI commands into TCP packets and send them over the network. As such, there is no correlation to the "storage/enclosure" used on the backend. So an iSCSI 'enclosure' does not have any meaning - any device with storage and a NIC that supports iSCSI can be an iSCSI enclosure. This could be a standalone OS, or any number of NAS devices on the market.

And while cards dedicated for "iSCSI offload" are available on the client side, most do not have/use them (even in enterprise environments.) The software iSCSI initiator is typically all that is used (available in any Linux distro.) While poor implementations are the norm, a correct iSCSI install for data disks can be viable. But booting from iSCSI is not common, so you'll have to get a better understanding of what you mean by "used to host Linux." The short answer is: any of them. Google: iscsi storage device
    Rubberman likes this.

Just Joined!
    Not sure I am adding much, but I can say that in the past for a home solution I used a workstation with 5 x SATA drives and used freenas as the ISCSI Storage backend and connected a linux host using kvm to it.

However like others have said you can use just about any ISCSI enclosure. The only thing I would look at is the management software that can be used.