Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
There is still several reasons as to why I still hange onto windows. But there are not very many reasons. I need help trying to eliminate one of them. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Printer Update for Zorin 6.1. Can anyone explain to me how to do this

There is still several reasons as to why I still hange onto windows. But there are not very many reasons. I need help trying to eliminate one of them. I have a HP Photosmart Premium 309a Printer. This printer is designed to print on both sides of a page. But through Linux it can't. At least without an update to my Zorin-os-6.1-core-64. It is based on the Ubuntu. I have narrowed my search down to this. It looks like I will need to perform the install through the terminal. Can anyone explain to me how this works? hxxp://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/photosmart/photosmart_c309a_series.html

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    You should be able to install a later version of hplip through the software centre or from the terminal by running
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install hplip
    [edit]
    Ah Zorin. That may be based on an earlier Ubuntu version so to find out what version of hplip is or will be installed run
    Code:
    apt-cache policy hplip
    If you have hplip installed then you will need to tick the box that tells it the duplexer is installed
    [/edit]
    Last edited by elija; 03-07-2013 at 08:09 AM.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Thank you for the tip. Here is the results. I'm not sure what you mean by [/edit]

gregory@gregory-DG965OT:~$ sudo apt-get install hplip
    [sudo] password for gregory:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    hplip is already the newest version.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

gregory@gregory-DG965OT:~$ apt-cache policy hplip
    hplip:
    Installed: 3.12.2-1ubuntu3.1
    Candidate: 3.12.2-1ubuntu3.1
    Version table:
    *** 3.12.2-1ubuntu3.1 0
    500 hxxp://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main amd64 Packages
    100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    3.12.2-1ubuntu3 0
    500 hxxp://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise/main amd64 Packages
    gregory@gregory-DG965OT:~$

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Ok, it looks like you have 3.12 installed which according to the hplip page you linked to will support your printer as states it must be at least 3.9.

If there is no option to let it know there is a duplexer installed which in Mint is under Printer -> Properties -> Installable Options, I would complain to HP.

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

I've just discovered that LibreOffice won't print double sided but exporting the document to PDF and printing it through the Document Viewer does! It may be a bug in LibreOffice rather than an issue with your driver.

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    I've just discovered that LibreOffice won't print double sided but exporting the document to PDF and printing it through the Document Viewer does! It may be a bug in LibreOffice rather than an issue with your driver.
    I can not print two sided through Firefox. I haven't tried any of the other browsers yet. The other day (before I tried to put hplip on the system) I got LibreOffice to print on both sides. But it didn't do it right. The one side was upside down.

Just Joined!
    The ubuntu forums showed me the instructions:

hxxp://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web...all/index.html

I redownloaded the file, and then moved it to the Desktop since that is where the instructions showed it. I followed the instructions. I'm not sure everything is right. Both in Firefox and on LibreOffice the printer is listed twice. I am however able to print on both sides in firefox but not LibreOffice. As far as I can tell only of the printers in the list of two has the option.

0c59897d-6e62-4de9-a64f-a9156f099509_zps08622466.jpg

Just Joined!
    I decided to reinstall Linux and start all over. This time I started with what that Manual says and I got this message.

g@g-DG965OT:~/Desktop$ sh hplip-3.13.3.run
    Creating directory hplip-3.13.3
    Verifying archive integrity... All good.
    Uncompressing HPLIP 3.13.3 Self Extracting Archive........................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .....................................

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.13.3)
    HPLIP Installer ver. 5.1

Copyright (c) 2001-13 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
    This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
    This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
    under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

Installer log saved in: hplip-install_Sat-23-Mar-2013_14:39:14.log

warning: zorin distro is not found in AUTH_TYPES
    \
    note: Defaults for each question are maked with a '*'. Press <enter> to accept the default.
    error: Auto installation is not supported for 'unknown' distro so all dependencies may not be installed.
    Please install manually as mentioned in 'http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/install/manual/index.html' web-site

Press 'y' to continue auto installation. Press 'n' to quit auto instalation(y=yes, n=no*):

Just Joined!
    Next: I tried going to http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web...ual/index.html I looks confusing to me but here is what I tried. It appears to have failed.

* My System is Ubuntu 12.04 so I tried the line that said it was for "Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid) and above"

Press 'y' to continue auto installation. Press 'n' to quit auto instalation(y=yes, n=no*): n
    Installation exit
    g@g-DG965OT:~/Desktop$ sudo apt-get install --assume-yes libcups2 cups libcups2-dev cups-bsd cups-client libcupsimage2-dev libdbus-1-dev build-essential ghostscript openssl libjpeg62-dev libsnmp-dev libtool libusb-1.0-0-dev wget python-imaging policykit-1 policykit-1-gnome python-qt4 python-qt4-dbus python-dbus python-gobject python-dev python-notify python python-reportlab libsane libsane-dev sane-utils xsan
    [sudo] password for g:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package xsan
    g@g-DG965OT:~/Desktop$ tar xvfz hplip-3.13.3.tar.gz
    tar (child): hplip-3.13.3.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    tar: Child returned status 2
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    g@g-DG965OT:~/Desktop$

I'm not sure what to do now?

Unable to locate package xsan
    Look for xsane instead.
    Try to make sure you are in the correct directory where the file is located and use
    Code:
    tar -zxvf hplip-3.13.3.tar.gz
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast