Find the answer to your Linux question:
Howdy folks. I'm trying to iteratively narrow down a list of values held in the variable $toprint. Each value is seperated by a newline. I want to remove lines whose ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

awk(ward) question: How does awk handle expansions with bash?

Howdy folks.

I'm trying to iteratively narrow down a list of values held in the variable $toprint. Each value is seperated by a newline.

I want to remove lines whose fields $3 and $4, together, contain the same value as a variable I defined previously in bash called $seccord.

The best way to do this is obviously to tell awk to print only lines for which the string $seccord does not equal fields $3 and $4 in each line:

Code:
    toprint=`printf '%b\n' $toprint | awk 'BEGIN { FS="," } { if($3$4!='$seccord') print }'`
    This doesn't work, however. It prints EVERY line, even though I know for sure that the fields $3 and $4 are equal to $seccord in at least some of them.

I figure it's because of some weirdness in how bash vs. awk expand variables. Does anyone have an idea?

-Deut

EDIT:

I apologize. I got really desperate and experimented with all sorts of quote combinations. This one works:

" ' $seccord ' "

That is, single quotes inside to expand the variable in bash;
    Double quotes outside the single quotes to tell awk that it's looking for a string equal to the value of $seccords

You can delete this thread if you want, or if it's a commmon newbie problem you can keep it.
    Last edited by deuteros; 03-11-2013 at 01:43 AM.

Just Joined!
    You're on the right track, there is no shell expansion in single quotes in bash. Another approach instead of the bash concentration approach is to use awk's variable setting, e.g. -v testCase="${seccord}" ' awk script ...'.

PS: If the issue is solved, please marked is solved.