Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
I am running Mint Mate Nadia (a very nice system). I am at ease with the UI but not yet firm in using the Terminal commands. In Windows, I manage ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    whs
    Just Joined!

Looking for an easy to understand Terminal guide

I am running Mint Mate Nadia (a very nice system). I am at ease with the UI but not yet firm in using the Terminal commands.

In Windows, I manage quite well with Command Prompt and in Mint I can do easy things. But since the Terminal seems to be a powerful tool to get things done, I would like to know more about it.

I can, of course, Google the question and I get a lot of answers. But I was wondering what you guys recommend for someone that is not (yet) a Linux Pro. Thanks.

oz
    forum.guy
    Linuxcommand.org offers a nice and easy to use tutorial for learning the Linux command line.
    whs likes this.
    oz

whs
    Just Joined!
    Thanks oz, will have a look at it.

Update: This is really a good tutorial. I read only the 3 first pages up to now and I learned more than I had learned in the last 2 weeks. Thanks again. And the guy who wrote it has humor. Now I'll continue to read.
    Last edited by whs; 03-14-2013 at 10:02 PM.

Might be worth looking at the Gentoo site also, bash by example is worth a look ... scroll down to the learning linux articles

whs
    Just Joined!
    Thanks Jonathan. This looks good too. Maybe a little heavy for a newbie like me.
    Last edited by whs; 03-15-2013 at 01:49 AM.

oz
    forum.guy
    If you are interested, there's another good tutorial that you can check out here:

UNIX / Linux Tutorial for Beginners
    oz

You will find plenty of tutorials on web. oz and Jonathan183 suggested really good tutorials. I would suggest you to stick with any one, complete and then switch to other, if necessary. Keep studying and practicing .....
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

whs
    Just Joined!
    Thanks again for all the help. devils casper is right. I am now in the middle of the one oz has posted. To digest that one will take me a while. Once I understand all that, I probably know more than I ever wanted to know, LOL.

Another good resource is RUTE. It's got a huge amount of information! It should keep you busy for quite a while.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

whs
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Another good resource is RUTE. It's got a huge amount of information! It should keep you busy for quite a while.
    Excellent document, thank you. But how much can I read. At my age, I have only a few years left,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast