Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to learn how to use code, terminal, text only installs and all that good stuff. My problem is I'm a complete beginner. I can't learn at school and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Advice: Learning Unix/Linux

I want to learn how to use code, terminal, text only installs and all that good stuff.

My problem is I'm a complete beginner. I can't learn at school and my parents limit the amount of time I can spend on the internet. So I apologize if I do not reply in a timely manner.

Do you know of any books I can study or print out?

Also which distro would be best for me to learn? I'm interested in Unix and Linux OS.

I'll have to use a live CD or USB for the moment until I can afford a mini computer to learn on.

I'd also be interested in how you learned and what your experience has been using Linux and Unix.

Thanks,

Amélie

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome!

LinuxCommand.org offers up a nice and easy to use tutorial for learning the Linux command line. However, I'm not sure that it can be printed out.

As for books, most of the books published by O'Reilly are good, but many operating system books become outdated quickly due to quick coming changes with new version releases. You can search the forum for "free online ebooks" and I think you should get some hits with links that might help you.
    oz

The book I always recommend is Running Linux. I think it's from the O'Reilly stable.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"