Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Its a desktop pc. No name on the case but I believe she bought it from someone who built it. Being an old free computer im not worried. Ill be ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Its a desktop pc. No name on the case but I believe she bought it from someone who built it. Being an old free computer im not worried. Ill be using the case to build my own pc and really am not sure where to start. I dont need cutting edge but want something that will survive a few years. Perhaps some ideas from thise more knowledgeable in hard could instruct me on how best to upgrade this thing. A way to piece it together so that I can replace a component and it still be usable through each step. Like a mother board and chip that is less than 2 years old that will work with whats there and could be had used. If you were going to build the ultimate pc 1 or 2 years ago what would you get?

Im sorry I know this is a soft ware site not a hardware place.

Linux Guru
    Puppy Linux has a Hardware checker in it's menu. You can copy everything into a text document and load up what it says via a usb on a different computer.

Just Joined!
    this link is to a drop box folder of pictures i took of the screen to show different specs of the machine as listed in system information. i hope this is helpful to those that wish to help me in any way.

db.tt/Z2fiLiMf just add h t t p : / / in front of it. sorry im under 15 posts so it wouldnt let me post the link

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dmxlgdl4443lep1/EO2btQ6K25

Ok 255MB of ram limits what you can run so Puppy is a good pick with those specs. Zorin probably was too heavy for those ram specs.

Some of the pictures were hard to read but motherboard make and model which is in Top menu>Computer or Summary may show motherboard so folks that are hardware
    proficient can suggest a pci ethernet card. You have not mentioned also if this desktop is a low profile type like this or a regular desktop like this.

It makes it easier to recommend a card like this knowing if the desktop is a low profile or not.

Just Joined!
    Its a regular pc like the second link. It has an ethernet card. At least I have a spot on the back I can plug in a cable too. Like the o e that came with my router that I used for my blu ray player to my router. No wifi on my blu ray. Only problem with that is the router is on one side of the room and the computer the other. So id need about 20ft of it. Could I plug it into the ethernet port on my netbook and somehow use the netbooks wifi? Im sorry I was unable to find the motherboard info. I saw no Top Menu> Computer.

Just Joined!
    Ok so I managed to luck uo on a posting on yahoo about bridging the connection on my netbook and so I did. I plugged in the cable from the net book to the pc. I ran network wizard and boom. Ive got internet on this old dinosaur. It does seem pretty buggy though. Ive noticed that the os doesnt seem to like to run a program more than once. Like alsoplayer audio player. I play a cd and once I stop and close it. It wont open again until I restart the pc. Same with the browser. And just about every other program. Also after watching a 3 min vid on you tube I got a low free memory alert on my pc.

Linux Guru
    Also after watching a 3 min vid on you tube I got a low free memory alert on my pc.
    That is not surprising on 256MB of ram. Puppy would be more comfortable on 512MB of ram with a frugal install.
    You never mentioned how you installed Puppy Linux. Whether Full or frugal install. What size /swap partition was made.
    etc,etc,etc.

Even Tiny Core Linux with Firefox watching a youtube video for 3 minutes will choke on 256MB of ram.
    Until you upgrade the ram. Don't expect miracles from modern browsers and flash in Linux.
    Those are resource hungry programs. All your operating system troubles come from being inexperienced
    and trying to run Linux on legacy hardware.

Wireless is also slower than landline also. Anyways, if you insist on running Linux on legacy hardware. Bookmark
    and read Howtos | Motho ke motho ka botho

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php
    Last edited by rokytnji; 03-21-2013 at 07:01 PM. Reason: relevant forum for distro installed

Just Joined!
    I did a frugal install. I used all the settings that were recommended for partition size. I started also with a live cd then used a program via usb drive to aid in the install I dont remember the name of it. I know I am inexperienced thay is why I joined a forum with more experienced people. To gain experience. I apologize if it is inconvenient. I use this pc as it is the only pc that I have to play with at the time.

Linux Guru
    A frugal install on 256MB of ram is why you are having troubles with slowness. Frugal install runs in ram.
    I am posting right now on a frugal puppeee install on this eeepc 900 off of a external 4gig sd flash card. My processor
    is celeron 800HZ but I have 2gig of ram on this netbook.

Code:
    nxi -F -z
    System:    Host: puppypc Kernel: 2.6.33.2celeron i686 (32 bit) 
               Desktop: IceWM 1.3.6 Distro: Puppeee Linux Linux 2.6.33.2celeron [ arch]
    Machine:   System: ASUSTeK (portable) product: 900 version: 0405
               Mobo: ASUSTeK model: 900 Bios: American Megatrends version: 0601 rv 8.12 date: 05/26/2008
    CPU:       Single core Intel Celeron M (-UP-) cache: 512 KB flags: (nx pae sse sse2) clocked at 900.015 MHz 
    Graphics:  Card: Failed to Detect Video Card! X.org: 1.7.1 driver: intel tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root 
    Audio:     Card: HDA Intel driver: HDA-Intel Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.21
    Network:   Card: Failed to Detect Network Card! 
    Drives:    HDD Total Size: (24.1GB,9.4% used) () 1: id: /dev/sda model: ASUS size: 4.0GB 
               2: id: /dev/sdb model: ASUS size: 16.1GB 3: id: /dev/sdc model: CardReader_SD0 size: 4.0GB 
    Partition: 
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 55.0C mobo: N/A 
               Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 1610 
    Info:      Processes: 98 Uptime: 2:17 Memory: 223.7/2006.7MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 1.8.45
    Memory: 223.7/2006.7MB I am using 223.7 MB of ram out of 2gig of ram just posting a reply on a frugal install. Maybe now you may realize where I am coming from and trying to convey to you. I posted earlier before you did your install a link for different ways to install Puppy Linux.

A full install with a good size /swap partition (about 1gig)
    would serve you better than a frugal install would.
    I apologize if it is inconvenient
    No need to apologize. I could just ignore this thread
    if I chose to but I wish to see you succeed. I am also a
    little tripped out that I am the only member here that runs puppy coaching you. That was why I posted the Puppy Forum Link in my previous post. Those members at Murga are very helpful and knowledgeable about Puppy Linux and more heads are better than this uneducated biker who is
    a self taught linux user like you are just/trying setting out to be. I wasin your shoes not that long ago.

Just because my profile says guru. Don't be fooled by the guy behind the curtain. My skillset is limited at best when it comes to Puppy Linux compared to the full time Puppy users at Murga Forums. All the questions and statements I made you would hear at their forum also.

Just Joined!
    So a frugal install goes to ram and a full install would go to the hdd? Ok so I'll try the full install and see if that will help out. Of course I do plan to upgrade this computer in time however for now its a learning computer. Just to familiarize my self with linux.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast