Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hi I just joined today and have some questions. Fist off a little about why I am here. I enjoy tinkering with android based smart phones. I am told that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

hi, new guy here.

Hi I just joined today and have some questions. Fist off a little about why I am here.

I enjoy tinkering with android based smart phones. I am told that what you can learn of programming with linux with directly correlate to the android os. Being very similar if not the same at its core. I want to start developing custom roms for them and again am tild the best way to do so is on a linux based pc. I just inherited my late mother in laws dinosaur pc. The most I can tell you about it is it runs windows2k pro and has a 56k voice modem. So no internet on it yet. I am looking to upgrade everything in it as I get the disposable cash to do so. Im in the middle of restoring a motorcycle and swapping a transmission in my wifes freestyle , $5000 cvt transmission. Doing some repairs on my house.

At this time I just want to get a distro running on it to learn on that will easily roll with my upgrades later. I downloaded zorin os 6.2 32bit I have tried several programs to burn it to a 2gig usb stick with always a cannot format usb or format to fat32. I also tried to burn it to a cd and that failed also not enough space on the cd. I chose zorin because it was said to be kid friendly. To me kid friendly= easy for an adult to learn with. The only thing I have done is downloaded it from the zorin website and the transfered via usb to the old pc that has a cdrw drive and tried to burn it to the cd. Should I unzip this file first? Is there a program I can downkoad that handles this task better? The install instructions dont say to do more than burn it to a disk. The file I downloaded was I think 1.6? Gigs and the cds I have only hold 700mb. Without a new thumb drive I dont suppose itll go usb unless there is a way to get this one working.

My wife wont let me use her pc to try to solve this so im working with the dinasaur and a netbook that runs on win xp. The cdrw drive is usb and can be moved from the pc to the netbook.

I would greatly appreciate any help in getting this little experiment going. If I can get it running and its fun to do I may be switching from a manufacturing career to a comouter programming career. Tech schools are always looking for students and I know one where the instructors are great and therye building a campus 2 miles from my house due to open fall quarter.

Can anyine help a newjie out? Ive googled a lot and most tutorials are 2+ years old and I honestly dont have the time to spend hours trying different programs to solve my problem. I am ooen to suggestions on which linux distro to be use and how to load it. I plan on removing windows from that pc as soon as I load a linux distro to it.

Thanks in advance for your time in help in leading me to a solution.

Hello and Welcome to the forums.
    I would suggest that you have a look at Puppy Linux. It's a lot smaller and it'll fit on a CD or USB drive and the best part may be the fact that it runs on older machines.
    Puppy Linux Community Home - Getting Started
    If you want to stick with Zorin, that's fine but get your hands on some blank DVD's and use those to burn Zorin.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Welcome to the forum. If Puppy doesn't suit you, try Lubuntu, AntiX, Crunchbang, or SliTaz. Distrowatch.com has a search feature which will let you search for distro's for older computers. Enjoy the journey.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    Im not tied to a distro. I have just already downloaded zorin. Ill be downloading puppy I suppose. Just trying to get my foot in the door with linux. Something easy and since the comp is old something to make it a little more useable for my purpose.

Just Joined!
    Hi pheonixfriend,

If you are used to windows, Linux Mint or Ubuntu are OK as they are the ones I used to swap from Microsoft to Linux. They're big installs and you need a DVD writer and blank single layer 4.7 gb disks for it....

I hope you enjoy the change. I know I was relieved.

Got more to learn but doing so much better now after not too much time.

Just Joined!
    I was able to download and burn puppy to a cd and it booted automatically. No bios changes. It seems to be working well. For as much as I can do with the computer. Does the cd have to stay in the drive while using or can I remove it to play a cd? Also with it being a dial uo modem is there a way I can tether it to my laptop to check the video drivers? Also if everything runs well how can I delete windows and move puppy from a live cd onto the hdd and have it as the only os on the hdd?

Puppy is running in ram so you can eject the cd.

I just inherited my late mother in laws dinosaur pc. The most I can tell you about it is it runs windows2k pro and has a 56k voice modem
    Not enough info to recommend another distro. The pc may not be strong enough to run Zorin (I advise against Zorin. Too many bad posts about it) I think Lubuntu may suit you instead of Zorin.
    LXDE has a windows newby feel to it.

PuppyLinux: Installation Index
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    I managed to find a guide on the puppy linux home page and get puppylinux loaded to the hard drive as a stand alone os. No windows on this dinosaur.

It doesnt seem to recognize my mouse or keyboard this time. I tried rebooting and the keyboard works but the mouse does not. It worked when using the live cd. Its a fellows two button with the big trackball up top.

Just Joined!
    Ok so i booted up my pc this morning after work and behold the mouse works. Would anyone be able to explain that one? is it going to be a craps shoot on whether my mouse works each time i boot? also is there a way to use my netbook with wifi as a modem for my pc which has a dial up modem? there are some programs that i need for compiling android roms that i need. i can download them to my phone then to my laptop then to my usb thimb drive and get them to the computer that way but what a hassle.
    Last edited by phoenixfriend; 03-20-2013 at 11:01 AM.

Would anyone be able to explain that one
    Old PC. Funky connection on old hardware maybe. I would not sweat it. It is not like you are using a brand spanking new pc.

also is there a way to use my netbook with wifi as a modem for my pc which has a dial up modem
    Don't know the answer to that. If me. I would invest the couple of dollars for a ethernet card or if laptop. PCMCIA etherent card.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast