Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a friend who is using a little eMachine ER1401 Desktop with Linpus 9.5 Linux. It is perfect for what he needs, which is just web and email. But ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Printer Installation Problem

I have a friend who is using a little eMachine ER1401 Desktop with Linpus 9.5 Linux. It is perfect for what he needs, which is just web and email. But now he wants to install a printer, a Lexmark X2670.

We plugged this into the machine with a USB cable. If I do lsusb in a terminal window I can see the Lexmark machine in the list. But CUPS, which was already installed, doesn't find any printer connected.

I am guessing that I need to download a UNIX printer driver, which is available from Lexmark, and install this. Lexmark lists various drivers for Fedora, which I think Linpus is based on. Will one of these work, and are they backwards compatible, i.e. should I just choose the newest?

And once I have downloaded it, how do I install it?

Sorry if this has been asked many time before, and thanks for any help!

Linux Engineer
    I don't know anything about Linpus distro.

However, in some distros, you can select a 'printer settings' application from one of the menus in the gui. It should prompt for root or sudo password. You may be able to configure the printer in that dialogue box.

Just Joined!
    I might not be much help but getting my Konica Minolta BizHub 350 to connect and work properly was hell! Google your printer and "ppd" file. Once in cups and in management, be prepared to change settings a bunch and it should work eventually. Notice the setting you use and the example they give you - ex: printeraddressortnumber. I kept entering the wrong port when doing it and finally got it right. I know this isn't much help but a lot of times just looking at something a little differently helps you figure it out... :/