Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Segfault
i am working on parallel computing and HPC. So i want to use linux for my programming purpose. Can anyone suggest me a good and stable Linux os with version ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Post Install Linux

i am working on parallel computing and HPC. So i want to use linux for my programming purpose. Can anyone suggest me a good and stable Linux os with version so that i can install it in my laptop? I cant experiment with different versions as i have huge data with no backup. So kindly suggest..

Hello and Welcome!
    If you haven't already done so, you may want to check out DistroWatch. Lots of good information concerning various distros there.
    That said, for stability/work purposes, you might be interested in CentOS, Debian or Slackware.
    If you're unable to install multiple Linux flavors to find the right fit, you may want to look into installing to a virtual machine first. That way, you can get a feel for the system before dedicating yourself to it.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Thanks jay for the info,

I want to install a complete system for linux for the above said purpose. So kindly suggest the best bug free OS ? i dont want multiple linux systems. i have already worked in different linux systems but i m not able to decide the stable one for my home pcs.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    There's not really a "best" Linux distro. It's a matter of which one will be best for you.
    But for programming purposes, there are a few that come to mind that should have all the required tools.
    Slackware, Debian, CentOS or Scientific Linux (both RHEL clones). Each of these are extremely stable, and have a large selection of available software.
    Perhaps visiting the homepages for these distros will help you make your final selection.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    ok.. thanks a lot Jay!

Quote Originally Posted by anshuman_nist View Post
    i am working on parallel computing and HPC. So i want to use linux for my programming purpose. Can anyone suggest me a good and stable Linux os with version so that i can install it in my laptop? I cant experiment with different versions as i have huge data with no backup. So kindly suggest..
    No backup will end in tears sooner or later. In particular when making changes to partition table a backup is a must.