Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I'm using the SFTP from ssh server to make my connections to my Debian linux 6.0. I've created a new user with a goal of manage a single server, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

SFTP Directories

Hello,

I'm using the SFTP from ssh server to make my connections to my Debian linux 6.0. I've created a new user with a goal of manage a single server, GTA. So on the creation I defined his home directory as /home/gta, BUT the user can simply do cd.. and his out of that folder and he can navigate through all the server directories. How can I block this use to navigate ONLY in his home directory?

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Have a read through this for some solutions. I would use the ChrootDirectory approach as a first try.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    When I set up my file server I used ChrootDirectory (with only SFTP access - no shell login), as elija suggested, by following the steps on this page:

h t t p : / / w w w .thegeekstuff.com/2012/03/chroot-sftp-setup/

I did things a little differently, though. The instructions on that page use a separate directory for the SFTP users, but I wanted to keep the user directories in /home, so I gave /home root:root user/group ownership and the individual home directories have $USER:sftpusers user/group ownership.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close