Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I'm using the SFTP from ssh server to make my connections to my Debian linux 6.0. I've created a new user with a goal of manage a single server, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

SFTP Directories

Hello,

I'm using the SFTP from ssh server to make my connections to my Debian linux 6.0. I've created a new user with a goal of manage a single server, GTA. So on the creation I defined his home directory as /home/gta, BUT the user can simply do cd.. and his out of that folder and he can navigate through all the server directories. How can I block this use to navigate ONLY in his home directory?

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Have a read through this for some solutions. I would use the ChrootDirectory approach as a first try.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Just Joined!
    When I set up my file server I used ChrootDirectory (with only SFTP access - no shell login), as elija suggested, by following the steps on this page:

h t t p : / / w w w .thegeekstuff.com/2012/03/chroot-sftp-setup/

I did things a little differently, though. The instructions on that page use a separate directory for the SFTP users, but I wanted to keep the user directories in /home, so I gave /home root:root user/group ownership and the individual home directories have $USER:sftpusers user/group ownership.