Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone! I'm pretty new to the Linux world and have been learning server management in a trial by fire fashion at work. I've been having quite a bit of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Ubuntu Desktop 12 LAMP Server VM or right in the OS?

Hello everyone!

I'm pretty new to the Linux world and have been learning server management in a trial by fire fashion at work. I've been having quite a bit of fun so I decided to install Ununtu Desktop on a laptop I have. I've been enjoying using the Ubuntu Desktop OS and would like to keep it on this laptop and use it more often so...

My question is, if I want to install a LAMP set up on this laptop for Web development purposes but also as a way of digging deeper into Linux, should I just install on my main (desktop) OS, or would it be better (and ok) to install VirtualBox and Ubuntu Server that way?

Or, am I totally out to lunch all together?

Opinions, suggestions and advice is appreciated!

Linux Guru
    The difference between installing on the Desktop to a partition or to Virtualbox will be the speed, slower in VBox. You can install it with the command below, make sure you have the '^' at the end of the commad:

sudo apt-get install lamp-server^

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    The difference between installing on the Desktop to a partition or to Virtualbox will be the speed, slower in VBox. You can install it with the command below, make sure you have the '^' at the end of the commad:
    Thanks for the response yancek!

I guess what I'm thinking is, I'd like to have my regular working OS seperate from my server and I'm wondering if that's a bad thing or not. I'm not too terribly worried about speed unless it completely slows things down a lot while working. I will not be using the server for any outside traffic. Just learning and dev testing.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    It doesn't make much difference although it is simpler to just use the same machine, just point the web server at the folder you are using for the coding.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent