Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello everyone, so I decided to start learning Linux. I've never had any experience with it. Right now I have a mac mini which has a second partition for Windos ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which distro is best for a n00b?

Hello everyone, so I decided to start learning Linux. I've never had any experience with it. Right now I have a mac mini which has a second partition for Windos 7. I want to get rid of Windows 7 and install linux. However I do not know which distro to use.

My main goal is to master the world of linux and I also want to eventually learn about the security aspect of linux.

I'm so lost right now, all I know is I want to learn linux.

Here are my specs for my mac mini:

- 2.26ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    - 8gb DDR3
    - Geforce 9400m 256mb
    - OSX Mountain Lion

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I would recommend Linux Mint to a beginner. This poll agrees
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

That machine will have no problems running any of the mainstream distros, so you can pretty much take your pick.
    Take a look at DistroWatch. Scroll down, and look to the right. Any of the top 10 in the Page Hit Rankings will have great amounts of documentation and community support to help get you going.

That said, some very popular choices for new users are Ubuntu, Mint or Fedora. Some folks don't like the GUI layout of Ubuntu (Unity), so you may want to try either Kubuntu or Xubuntu.

Also, you can try a LiveCD for most of the more popular distros... give them a try without having to install them or change your existing system.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    thank you for the replies, much appreciated.

I have one question, I'm trying to become a network administrator and possibly branch out to security. Will learning linux be helpful to me in the IT world?

Quote Originally Posted by Dexinthecity View Post
    thank you for the replies, much appreciated.

I have one question, I'm trying to become a network administrator and possibly branch out to security. Will learning linux be helpful to me in the IT world?
    In that case, I will change my recommendation to CentOS which is basically Red Hat.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    In that case, I will change my recommendation to CentOS which is basically Red Hat.
    I don't see CentOS on the list at distrowatch, is it part of fedora?

Is fedora part of red hat?

Centos is a rebuild of Red Hat Enterprise Linux. It's probably the best option to learn Red Hat without splashing out for a support contract. If you want to get in to Linux Administration then you want to learn Red Hat!

Fedora is a cutting edge community developed distro which is used as a test bed of technologies for possible future inclusion in to Red Hat.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Centos is a rebuild of Red Hat Enterprise Linux. It's probably the best option to learn Red Hat without splashing out for a support contract. If you want to get in to Linux Administration then you want to learn Red Hat!

Fedora is a cutting edge community developed distro which is used as a test bed of technologies for possible future inclusion in to Red Hat.
    So i've decided to start with Centos, now once installed do you have any websites where I can go to start learning the basics and then move up to the advanced?

Linux Guru
    How about the CentOS forums:

www.centos.org - Forums

Just Joined!

So why not recommend Fedora instead of Centos? Sorry for all the questions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast