Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi guys, how essential is it to know vim as a linux admin? i have been watching a few tutorials and realise that it is its own world. i am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Where does VIM actually fit in???

hi guys,

how essential is it to know vim as a linux admin?

i have been watching a few tutorials and realise that it is its own world.
    i am just trying to work out where it actually fits in
    im a windows admin trying to learn more on Linux

is it just used mostly for editing config files on Linux?
    surely you wouldnt use it to write perl scripts? are there not better tools for writing perl etc

just like i wouldnt use notepad to write html or php...i might use notepad ++ maybe

any info appreciated
    thanks for reading

Linux Enthusiast
    The UNIX standard says that it must contain an editor that is compatible with "VI", and "vim" (vi improved) meats that need. Once you get past the curve on the learning curve, it is a very great editor.

The commands are very old and if you learn what they mean (like 'x' is 'x out' which is what you did back on a type writer way before "white out" does a character delete).

Just Joined!
    yes alf i understand, but where is it mostly used in the work place? as an admin...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    As indicated, vi has been around for a long time and works very well. I don't know that other editors are necessarily 'better', but most of us are probably more familiar with other editors, particularly coming from a different OS. I don't know that vi is 'necessary' for any editing. Editing 'sudo' is supposed to be done using 'visudo' command but on some distributions, when you type in that command it will open a different editor. I believe using Ubuntu or one of its derivatives (can't remember which) it open the nano text editor. So use what you want unless you get some solid info indicating it is required for some other purpose.

I would think that you should have at least a passing familiarity with vi/vim. In the case of system breakage, it's possible that you may be dropped to a shell login to perform repairs. In which case vi/vim might be the editor that you are forced to use.

I'm personally no expert with it, but I find it a useful practice to open up some of my smaller config files in vim just so I keep a few things about it fresh in my head.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Linux Enthusiast
    Most admins edit the configuration files using vim rather an some GUI application. This is mainly for two reasons:
    1. It is faster (can be much much faster in some cases)
    2. usually there is not a GUI installed on the servers being maintained
    3. working on a remote machine passing though a couple of firewalls

Also if they write scripts (bash, awk, python, perl, etc) they use vim.

I spend my work writing code (for a Gentoo Linux) and use vim about 7 hours a day. Yesterday I was working with a person that has used vim for many years and he learned many new commands and functions within vim. I also introduced "comm" to him and few other command line utilities as well. We got the task done in two hours which had been estimated at 4 hours by our boss.

The stuff we were using in vim would not be available in Glade or Eclipse.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    vim has been installed on nearly* every Linux server I have ever used so as an admin you should look for at least basic familiarity in the editor. How to move around a file, change modes, find and replace etc. would be the minimum. At some point I have no doubt that you will be remoted on to a server with your only weapon being vi or vim.

Also, you should have a passing acquaintance with nano as it seems to be the other editor of choice.

* It may have been all Linux servers but I can't remember!
    Last edited by elija; 04-12-2013 at 12:30 PM.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Alf and Elija excellent answers 10 out of 10...

"At some point I have no doubt that you will be remoted on to a server with your only weapon being vi or vim." are talking about editing files on a remote server? woudl you connect using something else and edit using vim...please explain more...and if possible give me a real world example...i love those

thanks alot guys

Depending on the usecase, you can login remote via ssh or telnet, maybe via a serial console.
    vim is for editing.

"Right tool for the job" is part of the unix philosophy.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.