Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all! I am currently working on an extension of Fedora 18 that is built for complete beginners to learn linux. I would love if any beginners would like to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux for beginners

Hello all! I am currently working on an extension of Fedora 18 that is built for complete beginners to learn linux. I would love if any beginners would like to suggest what they would like to see in the operating system and what would help them learn. Thanks!

Just Joined!
    Hello absal0m,

I am a complete beginner to linux, i am currently reading the linux+ 2012 book and playing with linux, as well as watching any videos i can find.

currently i only have two boxes in my home office to try ween myself off windows (Not that I hate windows, i have worked with windows as a techie for years)
    my first box is centos
    and i have slackware on the second

im not interested in the GUI at all, the only time i go near it is when my tablets battery is flat and i need to post or watch videos
    does this exclude me???

let me know
    j0n1n

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by j0n1n View Post
    Hello absal0m,

I am a complete beginner to linux, i am currently reading the linux+ 2012 book and playing with linux, as well as watching any videos i can find.

currently i only have two boxes in my home office to try ween myself off windows (Not that I hate windows, i have worked with windows as a techie for years)
    my first box is centos
    and i have slackware on the second

im not interested in the GUI at all, the only time i go near it is when my tablets battery is flat and i need to post or watch videos
    does this exclude me???

let me know
    j0n1n
    No it does not, i'll take anyone who wants to learn linux.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thats great!!! its very hard on your own...i have learned a lot, but im not too impressed with the pace im learning at (time is always the enemy) but lately i been doing three hour sessions a night....

im actually a little confused to what areas i should be focusing on.

I am as i said busy doing linux+ and then plan to do some red hat certs as i would love to be able to get a job working in this environment one day.

what i am planning to do:

i have two linux boxes setup (centos and slackware)

i would like to setup apache on the centos server and configure it...and build a small private web site (like an intranet) to document all the stuff im learning (this was recommended to me by a user on this site)

i would like to get into the guts of linux to understand how to troubleshoot and repair crashed systems from cli or whatever it takes.

i want to become a command line guru!!!

I also want to become a vim master!!!

networking, remoting etc etc

and finally i would like to look at scripting (perl or something) but this is way down the line

I am prepared to pay for a good education in this...

i find reading books,forums and watching videos useful, but slow in answering questions (would be nice to chat with people to get questions answered etc)
    im a south african living in the republic of ireland and the LUG here in ireland looks pretty sad...i could join any other one though, i suppose it doesnt really matter.

let me know
    jonin

PS"wow!! you from New Jersey, must be very interesting place to live"

Just Joined!
    First, try with a live Linux DVD or CD to get acquainted, then any errors etc can be wiped out and start again. To get to know Linux try KNOPPIX live Linux which is Debian based, use DVD or from a USB Key. Then run something else on a hard drive machine. (Knoppix is designed as and is best as a Live Linux system).

Just Joined!
    hi eionmac im not really into live cd's i find them very slow and limited...i have two boxes centos and slackware on two computers that if they crashed i wouldnt lose anything as most of my files i would need to keep are on a google drive.

Just Joined!
    any news abal0m??? when can we expect to get started???

Just Joined!
    I posted a thread about how to approach system admin from a new users perspective. Maybe using that concept you could come up with how to determine the type of build?

Hope this helps

Just Joined!
    That sounds good. I dont't know much, I was just learning on another OS that had this evil piece of malware called genuine advantage. So Now I am here learning how to do Linux. I have a laptop that was locked in windows, well now 24hrs later its not locked, but i came here to get it online. It is my idea, that once I have some internet access, that allows me numerous options for downloads and support. however, until that time, I am stuck with a knoppix disk. I have been poking around looking at the filesystem, reading man- pages, familiarizing myself with some of the command modifiers. I havent confirmed, but i think I can use the GUI to connect to a wifi.
    The distros that interested me most were Arch and the one you make from scratch, forgot the name. I would like a system that is oriented towards the command line with aliases or scripts that can call programs and save the Graphics for certain functions, and also programs that can be called from the command line or a simple customizable toolbar with buttons that can call objects/tools/functions. . I would also, if at all possible, run an android environment within, and have a sandbox or some buffer to catch remote access attempts to call functions. A print server that links up to local wireless signals like BT and wifi would be perfect. Could you reccommend a user friendly source code for encryption and decryption? Regarding languages, is Java + JavaScript a good place to start in linux? I see python and one other familiar looking lang in the knoppix files cd. is it a VM that i need to run android? what about windows? if i still have files in windows formats, would it be easier to simulate a virtual environment to access them or should I port them over with some conversion tool? while we are at it, i got a couple of imacs layin around, what would you recommend to get them to communicate with this linux machine. Could you recommend some network security tools to actually proxy and what files are linux cookies (should be called breadcrumbs, IMO) to be found? Also, is there an alternative to in Linux for Flash 10.1 + (windows) that isnt so friendly with the beacons? I am knida lost, but i really feel like if i get online i could figure it out. welll thanks. if your distros will address my needs and stay slim, I would love to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by absal0m View Post
    Hello all! I am currently working on an extension of Fedora 18 that is built for complete beginners to learn linux. I would love if any beginners would like to suggest what they would like to see in the operating system and what would help them learn. Thanks!

Just Joined!
    thx for this, am gonna read your thread before i log
    Quote Originally Posted by theondr View Post
    I posted a thread about how to approach system admin from a new users perspective. Maybe using that concept you could come up with how to determine the type of build?

Hope this helps