Find the answer to your Linux question:
Results 1 to 7 of 7
Hi there, I'm a newbie and I'm looking for something that I hope is possible. I have a pinball machine. This machine is connected to my pc through a usb ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1

    Boot a Linux machine from an usb device


    Hi there,

    I'm a newbie and I'm looking for something that I hope is possible.
    I have a pinball machine. This machine is connected to my pc through a usb connection.
    What I'm looking for is a solution that when I power on my pinball machine, the pc is started automattically. I think it's similar in a way like wake on lan. As soon as the pc starts up, it will need to execute a program on the pc (this I already have). When I turn off the pinball machine, the pc needs to shut down as well.
    My gut feeling tells me that this will be easier to realize on a Linux platform than a Windows platform. Can anyone help me?

    it possible? Thanks for any suggestion or pointers.

    Kind regards,

    Roy

  2. #2
    Linux Newbie arespi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Monterrey , Mexico
    Posts
    132
    Hi

    For this you will have to rely on your computer bios rather than the OS, be it windows or linux, some motherboards have the option of "wake on usb" just the same of wake on lan, but it doesn't seems to be very common. Another option you can use set its power options to start when it receives power and use a common electrical switch for you pinball and computer.

    Good luck

  3. #3
    Linux Newbie Syndacate's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Hell..no literally, this state is hell..
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by arespi View Post
    Hi

    For this you will have to rely on your computer bios rather than the OS, be it windows or linux, some motherboards have the option of "wake on usb" just the same of wake on lan, but it doesn't seems to be very common. Another option you can use set its power options to start when it receives power and use a common electrical switch for you pinball and computer.

    Good luck
    ^ This.

    I've never seen a wake on USB option in a BIOS. Your best bet would probably be to jump the power pins on the mobo.

  4. #4
    Linux Guru Rubberman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Posts
    11,175
    Most PC's support "boot on power', so if your PC and game are connected to the same power strip, when you turn that on, the pc should turn on. It would be powering off that is the issue so that your PC shuts down cleanly. If you copy all the programs and stuff you need to ram disc and make sure any data created goes there also, then there won't be much of a problem.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

  5. #5
    Linux Newbie Syndacate's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Hell..no literally, this state is hell..
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Most PC's support "boot on power', so if your PC and game are connected to the same power strip, when you turn that on, the pc should turn on. It would be powering off that is the issue so that your PC shuts down cleanly. If you copy all the programs and stuff you need to ram disc and make sure any data created goes there also, then there won't be much of a problem.
    I'm confused. If you do that, doesn't that mean any files/settings/etc. written during uptime are lost? It may be okay if it's stateless, but if it has settings or w.e I would think that wouldn't work.

    Also, how does copying them to a ram disk help? The rest of the system that's not copied to ramdisk will still shutdown uncleanly (ie. power kill).

  6. #6
    Linux Guru Rubberman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Posts
    11,175
    If it boots up and no data is written to the hard drive, then rebooting should not cause a problem. At worst, a quick fsync at boot time will deal with any bad file system state issues. A kludge, for sure. The best situation would be to wire the pinball machine to a serial port or other hardware interface on the PC, so when the machine is shut down, the serial port (and monitoring software) will sense it and initiate a clean system shut down. The power-on process can be like I said, or something like that.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

  7. #7
    Linux Newbie Syndacate's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Hell..no literally, this state is hell..
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    If it boots up and no data is written to the hard drive, then rebooting should not cause a problem. At worst, a quick fsync at boot time will deal with any bad file system state issues. A kludge, for sure. The best situation would be to wire the pinball machine to a serial port or other hardware interface on the PC, so when the machine is shut down, the serial port (and monitoring software) will sense it and initiate a clean system shut down. The power-on process can be like I said, or something like that.
    Ah, I got what you're saying.

    You could have a file monitor or something look for changes to cfg files and the like for write-through to HDD.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •