Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I'm fairly new to Linux, so maybe it's a bit odd to start such a complex project. I have read some begiiners books and parts of the more advanced ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux From Scratch - LFS

Hello,

I'm fairly new to Linux, so maybe it's a bit odd to start such a complex project.
    I have read some begiiners books and parts of the more advanced ones.
    Anyway I was wondering if anybody can help me with this question:

What permissions do you set on the /mnt/lfs directory?

I have successfully build and installed all the packages from chapter 3 to 5 and now I want to move on to Part III. Building the LFS System.
    Question:
    Should you do that as the lfs user?

Thanks in advance

You chroot and build your LFS system. What you have done up until now is create the temporary system for you to build the LFS system.
    I suggest you backup the temporary system ... that way if you make a mess of building the system you can just restore the backup and start again at the beginning of chapter 6

It took me two attempts to build the temporary system, I found the toolchain I built did not work properly the first time. It also took me two attempts to build the LFS system - I was glad I could restore a backup rather than having to rebuild the temporary system again ...

Good luck with your build

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    You chroot and build your LFS system. What you have done up until now is create the temporary system for you to build the LFS system.
    I suggest you backup the temporary system ... that way if you make a mess of building the system you can just restore the backup and start again at the beginning of chapter 6

It took me two attempts to build the temporary system, I found the toolchain I built did not work properly the first time. It also took me two attempts to build the LFS system - I was glad I could restore a backup rather than having to rebuild the temporary system again ...

Good luck with your build
    I have made a backup of the /tools directory because I use a virtual machine to build the LFS system now. I do this because I want to be able to move the whole thing to my laptop.
    When I was configuring this VM I had to do some preparations in order to set up the environment, so I had to go back to chapter 2.4 where the /mnt/lfs directory is made, the way I was doing it (as the root user) leads to problems in part III.
    But in section 2.4 the lfs user isn't made yet. So you cannot create the /mnt/lfs directory as the lfs user. The -p argument is given. But the owner is root, this means you cannot create the directories in part III as user lfs.
    I'm sorry if my question is plain stupid and the answer should be obvious but I do not fully understand the -p argument.

To make a long story short should I make the owner of $LFS (in my case /mnt/lfs) the lfs user?

Thanx,

Jan

Use the man pages ... man mkdir
    in order to work as lfs user you chown the directory

each time you come across a command you don't understand, or don't understand parameters try the man pages first