Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I started poking around my Samsung Chromebook in Developer mode and figured out how to do some basic (read: navigation) stuff. I know next to nothing about Linux, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Chrome OS is locking me out of root.

So I started poking around my Samsung Chromebook in Developer mode and figured out how to do some basic (read: navigation) stuff. I know next to nothing about Linux, but I did manage to set a password for the default user (chronos). I figured it'd be a good idea since it has sudo power, but now I can't get in as root for whatever reason. I don't recall it asking for a password before I set the one for chronos, but the one I set doesn't work and with my luck I accidentally set an arbitrary one. If there is a default password or something that I somehow bypassed, does anyone know what it might be? Or if there's something blatantly obvious I'm doing wrong, like using the localhost name root?

Trusted Penguin
    hello and welcome!

so does sudo still work for user chronos? if so, then try:

Code:
    sudo passwd
    you should be prompted (twice) to enter a new root password.

Just Joined!
    Thank you!

I tried what you said (from the root directory, as chronos if that matters) and it told me "Authentication token lock busy, password unchanged". What does that mean/how do I fix it?

I do recall screwing something up at about 2:30 last night when playing around in the root directory. I tried the command:
    Code:
    view tmp
    thinking I'd see my temp files, instead it completely freaked out and I had a screen full of empty lines, save for a hyphen at the far left of each. Nothing I tried was responding, I just kinda tried random things till it went away. I'm guessing I screwed something up royally when that happened, because that's all I can think of that I did horribly wrong.

Trusted Penguin
    is the root (/) partition mounted read-only? try this first:

Code:
    sudo mount -o remount,rw /

Just Joined!
    It says that it's "write protected" when I try that.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by Tqwen View Post
    It says that it's "write protected" when I try that.
    That sounds like Google hardware/firmware to me. Perhaps it needs to be rescued (Samsung alternative). Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but I'm not sure what else to suggest to you.

Just Joined!
    The weird part is that I have gotten in as root before. It didn't ask for a password, but then that mess with tmp happened. Might not have been that, but I do know that that was my only horrible error.