Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. First time ever that I encountered Linux and Unix today when I was in a computer store, trying to get help with my external harddrive. I have a MacBook ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Having problems with write permits on my external harddrive

Hello.

First time ever that I encountered Linux and Unix today when I was in a computer store, trying to get help with my external harddrive.

I have a MacBook Pro 17" with a SSD 256 drive. I recently switched from my initial 128 GB SSD drive to this bigger drive. Only used Carbone Copy Cloner and that was no problem. The only thing was when I started the new disk I asked for the "User permision folder" (or something like that). Otherwise it works fine.

I also have a 2TB hard drive that have crashed. But before it crashed I used Disk Warrior on it an managed to back up everything on a new 2TB WD hard drive.

Seems like I managed to get all the info from it, but after copying it, something has changed with the permits to read and write.
    The disk is open to all users (set under the "Get Info" folder)

I went into the store and a really friendly guy helped me with doing some stuff in Terminal and he discovered that there was a + sign behind RVX ending on the folder and files.
    He said that this means that only the Root Admin can change this and this is the reason I have to enter Password everytime I try to change any of the files.

The "Group" that this drive has is called "Staff" but I dont have a user on my computer called "Staff".

I now need help to either add the group to my computer so that the disk recognizes the Macbook Pro as a "friend" or need instructions how I can re-write the disk so that itīs opens up to be used by all computers (or at least mine)

These are some screen shots how it looks when I try to move or delete any of the files.

The guy in the store also recommended me to check out some Linux forums, since you guys are usually smarter and more talented then the guys on the UNIX forums. I hope he is right.

Best Regards

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

You can change the owner of the files and folders and asign them to a regular user or group , in terminal you can use the command "chown"

https://developer.apple.com/library/...8/chown.8.html