Find the answer to your Linux question:
I don't think this question is specific to fedora, and I am kind of a newbie to linux... so this seemed like the appropriate place to ask. I have a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Running Fedora18 on USB stick

I don't think this question is specific to fedora, and I am kind of a newbie to linux... so this seemed like the appropriate place to ask.

I have a 2011 macbook air. I downloaded a 64-bit fedora 18 LXDE iso and made a bootable USB drive with it (using dd in the terminal), then I booted from it and installed f18 on a 32Gb thumb drive (using the other available usb port). It worked perfectly on the first try (freaking awesome), but now I'm wondering about performance.

I've noticed that some tasks seem to get bottlenecked. Particularly when browsing the web. (I've been using chrome). It also took forever in the last step of updating with Yum extender (rpm something or other?).

I'm already sold on booting linux from a thumb drive, but are there any ways to increase performance? Better ways to be running the OS on a USB stick?

If I could understand why there is a loss of performance, I would probably learn something about how Linux, or OSs in general, use memory, hard drive, and cpu.
    Last edited by lightfreq; 04-25-2013 at 01:44 AM. Reason: More descriptive title

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I'm not sure what you mean by bottlenecks but sometimes IPV6 can slow down Internet connections dramatically.

I think Fedora uses Network Manager so right click on your Network Manager icon in the system tray and select Edit Connections... Then choose your connection and click edit. From there select the IPV6 tab and select Ignore.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Thank you for that. I have this feeling that this could be some kind of memory thing though. It doesn't only slow down during web browsing, but also when opening applications (like openoffice), moving files, or doing anything really. The OS runs very smoothly but "sticks" at various points and takes a long time to finish something before proceeding. Does (my install of) Fedora18 use the USB stick for any memory management? Or is it using my system resources just the same as if it was installed on the main hard disk?

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    It could be simply that the USB key is slower than a hard disk?
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    It could be simply that the USB key is slower than a hard disk?
    Yep. Read and write speeds are slow on a full install like was done on a 32gig stick.

Fedora had problems with live usb with persistence (which runs faster than a full install. If you want to start over

The fix liveusb-creator-3.11.8-1.fc19 | Build Info | koji

The bugfix https://admin.fedoraproject.org/upda...-3.11.8-1.fc19

The bug https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=908120#c9

The thread persistant storage on USB-stick not working with Fedora 18 LXDE Spin - FedoraForum.org

Sorry but I don't run rpm distros.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home