Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, this is probably a dumb question I already run Zorin on my old Asus laptop and it installed and everything ran straight away, I cannot find any info on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

linux distro install on compaq cq3420an

Hi, this is probably a dumb question I already run Zorin on my old Asus laptop and it installed and everything ran straight away, I cannot find any info on Linux or drivers for this Compaq machine,and wanted to check compatibility before I go any further,its a CQ3420AN to be exact and came with 64bit Windows 7 installed, any advice? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ajc123 View Post
    Hi, this is probably a dumb question I already run Zorin on my old Asus laptop and it installed and everything ran straight away, I cannot find any info on Linux or drivers for this Compaq machine,and wanted to check compatibility before I go any further,its a CQ3420AN to be exact and came with 64bit Windows 7 installed, any advice? thanks
    Do these specs apply to your machine?
    AMD Athlon™ II X2 2.8 GHz

2 GB DDR3

500 GB SATA 3G Hard Disk Drive (7200 rpm)

SuperMulti DVD burner -- may cause concerns as multi-drives can be problematical

NVIDIA® GeForce® 6150 SE
    -- download & save proprietary nVidia driver @
    NVIDIA DRIVERS 304.37Certified

NOTE: It may be necessary to uninstall and blacklist the nouveau driver before installing nVidia driver pkg, depending on the distro chosen.

Any 64-bit distro looks okay although "lighter" ones may be preferable with present RAM if it is the stock 2GB, as above. Since familiar with Zorin, Xubuntu would be a logical choice.
    "What you think about me is none of my business"

Just Joined!
    thanks that sounds right, I have 4gb installed,not sure if this board supports more. the dvd drive is listed in device manager as a HP DVD-RAM GH60l SCSI. thanks for the advice