Find the answer to your Linux question:
What is the difference between a Live CD system and a full install? I understand that you can not install software into a Live CD system, and I understand that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What is the difference between Live and a Full Install?

What is the difference between a Live CD system and a full install? I understand that you can not install software into a Live CD system, and I understand that there are some other limits to the Live CD system, but beyond the limits due to the fact there is no way to record information to the Disc/system, are there any other differences? It seems to me that when one installs windows to a hard disk, it senses the computer system and attempts to adjust it's self to the hardware, But what I am wondering is How does Linux go about this? Or does it just simply create a file system and copy it's self over?

There are two differences in Live Install and Full Install.
    First, you can boot up your machine from Live Install media ( LiveCD ). You can check if distro supports your machine and you likes its default look/feel. Most of full installation media start installer directly on boot up. Full installation media doesn't give you any chance to take a look at distro.

Second, due to size constraint, LiveCDs have minimal/necessary and most popular packages only. You will have full working system though and its easy to install packages which you find missing in Live Install. Full installation has lot of packages and is for those who have slow or no internet connection. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by devils casper; 04-29-2013 at 02:56 AM.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    There are two differences in Live Install and Full Install.
    First, you can boot up your machine from Live Install media ( LiveCD ). You can check if distro supports your machine and you likes its default look/feel. Most of full installation media start installer on boot up. Full installation media doesn't give you chance to take a look at distro.

Second, due to size constraint, LiveCDs have minimal/necessary and most popular packages only. You will have full working system and its easy to install packages which you find missing in Live Install. Full installation is for those who have slow or no internet connection. Just my opinion.
    Thank you for your reply. I forgot to mention that I already knew that a LiveCD runs in Ram, and a full installation runs off of a Hard Drive or other similar media.

What I am trying to figure out if Linux forms it's self to the machine that it is install on or not. Example: If you install Linux to an External Hard Drive and then Moved that drive to another computer, would Linux realize it has been moved and make it's own adjustments to the new computer. If so then what happens if you move it back to the older system? In other words what happens when you change from one system to another?

Most of the time, it just works. If new machine have different Graphics/Wireless Cards, you have to make Graphics Card and Wireless Card adjustments, new compatible driver installation. If you switch back to original machine, you have to undo changes.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First