Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by USDragoon Thanks so much, folks! You all have given me a lot to chew on. I'm looking at the Raspberry Pi, and I'm very impressed! I am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by USDragoon View Post
    Thanks so much, folks!

You all have given me a lot to chew on. I'm looking at the Raspberry Pi, and I'm very impressed!

I am going to start with a desktop system, then start building out from there. As for a budget- I'm willing to spend upwards of $2,000.00 on my desktop system. . . . I think I'm going to need a book of commands for whatever distro I end up with.

Randy
    No need to spend that kind of money, IMHO, but just the mobo, CPU, SSD and RAM can add up to half of that, easily!

As to the latter quotation, Linux in a Nutshell is recommended!

Welcome & glad you chose Puppy to begin with -- it'll come in handy!
    "What you think about me is none of my business"

Just Joined!
    I’ve played with Puppy some time ago now, and thought I could see the potential in the future with it. Currently, Linux Mint seems to be the likely candidate for my system. I read the user’s manual the other evening, and it seems to be a good OS for teething my way into the “colony of the penguins”.

As for the budget on the desktop system- the $2000 budget number I came up with, is not only for the box itself, but for the box, monitor, printer, etc… Just for the box, it appears I may spend up to $1000. That number is still a guess, as I’ve only begun looking at components.

The best source I’ve found thus far, is a web site called- phoronix.com, claims to be a benchmark site.
    The information I gleaned is as follows;

The new AMD A 10 5800k series GPU seems like an interesting chip. It’s regarded as a quad core, and has Radeon HD 7000 graphics built into the processor. I read a lot on it, as to how it works with Linux. It’s recommended that a Ubuntu OS, or the like, of version 12.10, along with the Kernel of 3.4 be the base line to run this chip. The cost on the chip is around $123.79 on AMD’s Amazon store.
    I’m so out of date… I had no clue what a GPU was… LOL

The Motherboard is also from AMD, ASUS AMD A85X SATA 6.0 Gb-s 240-Pin DDR3 2400 Motherboards F2A85-V PRO
    -and it only costs $132.99- and is designed to run with this GPU. It’s an A-85X series. The Motherboard takes a pair of 4GB sticks, (DDR 3, 1866mhz) and has support for eight SATA hard drives.

For the memory sticks, I’m looking at the Corsair Red Vengeance (PC3 15000). The pair costs $70.32.

As for Hard Drives… again, I’m out of date. I see on Amazon that I can get hard drives from about $60.00 to around $150.00, of 1TB, and even 2TB.
    If someone can bring me up to date on the technology of the hard drives, etc..., I’d much appreciate it. My knowledge mostly ended around 2004.

This seems like the “latest and greatest” from AMD for a desktop, and from the reading I’ve done, this “appears” to be Ubuntu/ Mint friendly. I’m hoping that if anyone has some first hand knowledge with these items, please share.

The only thing (well, perhaps more than one) that I’m a little puzzled about is the video card. The GPU has the Radeon HD 7000 graphics, but I’m unclear if I can place an actual video card in. That is- will there be a conflict?

Within the same article- of all the video cards these folks tested, two seemed to stand out. The first is the Radeon HD 6770, XFX ATI Radeon HD6770 1 GB DDR5 VGA/DVI/HDMI PCI-Express Video Card HD677XZNLC. The cost of the card is around $132.00
    The second is the GeForce GTX 550 Ti. The one I found is the Galaxy GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1 GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 DVI/HDMI/VGA SLI Ready Graphics Cards 55NGH8HX4UXX . The cost is $149.99
    My understanding is that the GeForce is easier to setup with Linux. Again, need opinions on this.

The last thing (besides peripherals) is the sound card. Any ideas? I have not even begun to look, as I recall an article some time ago, that sound cards can be the most problematic for Linux systems.

The above so far, costs around $477.09
    Of course, I still have fan, case and power supply. Plus I have to figure in display and I/O devices, cd/ dvd burner. Back in the day, I usually just went with a 300 watt power supply, but now I'm seeing 600+ watts for a desktop... possibly a gaming system? These power supplies seem to get pricey. Should I invest in a higher end power supply? As for case, I always preffered the full size towers in the past. Better air flow, and easier to open the case. The last one I had even had wheels on it...lol (melted slag now)

One final note;
    I don't mind spending extra on a system, because I'm Scottish cheap in the long run. I like to try and get the most life out of system that I can, and is one reason I've been wanting to do the switch to Linux. Also, I like quality. Sound, video, room for "gee weez toys", that may be available now, or in the future.

Thanks,

Randy

Just Joined!
    I’ve played with Puppy some time ago now, and thought I could see the potential in the future with it. Currently, Linux Mint seems to be the likely candidate for my system. I read the user’s manual the other evening, and it seems to be a good OS for teething my way into the “colony of the penguins”.

As for the budget on the desktop system- the $2000 budget number I came up with, is not only for the box itself, but for the box, monitor, printer, etc… Just for the box, it appears I may spend up to $1000. That number is still a guess, as I’ve only begun looking at components.

The best source I’ve found thus far, is a web site called- phoronix.com, claims to be a benchmark site.
    The information I gleaned is as follows;

The new AMD A 10 5800k series GPU seems like an interesting chip. It’s regarded as a quad core, and has Radeon HD 7000 graphics built into the processor. I read a lot on it, as to how it works with Linux. It’s recommended that a Ubuntu OS, or the like, of version 12.10, along with the Kernel of 3.4 be the base line to run this chip. The cost on the chip is around $123.79 on AMD’s Amazon store.
    I’m so out of date… I had no clue what a GPU was… LOL

The Motherboard is also from AMD, ASUS AMD A85X SATA 6.0 Gb-s 240-Pin DDR3 2400 Motherboards F2A85-V PRO
    -and it only costs $132.99- and is designed to run with this GPU. It’s an A-85X series. The Motherboard takes a pair of 4GB sticks, (DDR 3, 1866mhz) and has support for eight SATA hard drives.

For the memory sticks, I’m looking at the Corsair Red Vengeance (PC3 15000). The pair costs $70.32.

As for Hard Drives… again, I’m out of date. I see on Amazon that I can get hard drives from about $60.00 to around $150.00, of 1TB, and even 2TB.
    If someone can bring me up to date on the technology of the hard drives, etc..., I’d much appreciate it. My knowledge mostly ended around 2004.

This seems like the “latest and greatest” from AMD for a desktop, and from the reading I’ve done, this “appears” to be Ubuntu/ Mint friendly. I’m hoping that if anyone has some first hand knowledge with these items, please share.

The only thing (well, perhaps more than one) that I’m a little puzzled about is the video card. The GPU has the Radeon HD 7000 graphics, but I’m unclear if I can place an actual video card in. That is- will there be a conflict?

Within the same article- of all the video cards these folks tested, two seemed to stand out. The first is the Radeon HD 6770, XFX ATI Radeon HD6770 1 GB DDR5 VGA/DVI/HDMI PCI-Express Video Card HD677XZNLC. The cost of the card is around $132.00
    The second is the GeForce GTX 550 Ti. The one I found is the Galaxy GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1 GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 DVI/HDMI/VGA SLI Ready Graphics Cards 55NGH8HX4UXX . The cost is $149.99
    My understanding is that the GeForce is easier to setup with Linux. Again, need opinions on this.

The last thing (besides peripherals) is the sound card. Any ideas? I have not even begun to look, as I recall an article some time ago, that sound cards can be the most problematic for Linux systems.

The above so far, costs around $477.09
    Of course, I still have fan, case and power supply. Plus I have to figure in display and I/O devices, cd/ dvd burner. Back in the day, I usually just went with a 300 watt power supply, but now I'm seeing 600+ watts for a desktop... possibly a gaming system? These power supplies seem to get pricey. Should I invest in a higher end power supply? As for case, I always preffered the full size towers in the past. Better air flow, and easier to open the case. The last one I had even had wheels on it...lol (melted slag now)

One final note;
    I don't mind spending extra on a system, because I'm Scottish cheap in the long run. I like to try and get the most life out of system that I can, and is one reason I've been wanting to do the switch to Linux. Also, I like quality. Sound, video, room for "gee weez toys", that may be available now, or in the future.

Thanks,

Randy
    Check out maingear.com I recently found it and they have pretty good prices on high end custom builds along with support. I checked out this one called the cube and with a 10,000 rpm raptor HDD 1TB, 4.2GHz quad core, 16GB DDR2 RAM, burner and more for only roughly $1,000 ready to run. They have all your other components too

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Also check out these guys. They do Linux specific machines that you can spec out yourself.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

I’ve played with Puppy some time ago now . . .

Of course, I still have fan, case and power supply. Plus I have to figure in display and I/O devices, cd/ dvd burner. Back in the day, I usually just went with a 300 watt power supply, but now I'm seeing 600+ watts for a desktop... possibly a gaming system? These power supplies se.em to get pricey. Should I invest in a higher end power supply? . . .

Also, I like quality. Sound, video, room for "gee weez toys", that may be available now, or in the future.

Thanks,

Randy
    FYI -- Thermaltake Power Supply Calculator
    2-rail and 80+ would be my recommendation, but depends on how energy-conscious one is!

Below is an impromptu 'dream system' I just came up with

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
    $442

ASUS Maximus V FORMULA Extended ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com
    $300

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CML16GX3M4X1600C7 - Newegg.com
    $155

SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD512BW 2.5" 512GB SATA III (SSD) - Newegg.com
    $442

ELSA GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST S.A.C Graphics Card
    $239

Antec EarthWatts Platinum Series EA-550 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Power Supply - Newegg.com
    $90
    "What you think about me is none of my business"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2