Find the answer to your Linux question:
Lately I have heard bad things about windows. As a long time windows user, I have never liked how Microsoft did things. Recently I've been on youtube watching several videos ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Looking for the right Distro for Me. Any Suggestions?

Lately I have heard bad things about windows. As a long time windows user, I have never liked how Microsoft did things. Recently I've been on youtube watching several videos about computers etc. In a nutshell, I've been looking for the Right Linux Distro for me. So far I've created 10 ~ 12 different kinds of Linux live boot discs. Most of these appear to be a kind of Ubuntu. I also have several types of mint. Just from running the Live DVDs, I decided that I really like the look and feel of Zorin. However, during some test uses of it on an external hard drive. I've noticed it seemed to degrade rather quickly. What I mean by degrade is the task bar starts having issues, and eventually it even quits running and then I have no way of rebooting the computer except to just hold down the power button. I've had several theories for this degrading. 1 I thought maybe it is because I am using a different computer to install it to the external. I have good reason for using the other computer for this task, since it is easy for me to unplug the internal hard disk, so that Linux will only see the external during install. However I posted around asking folks "what is the difference between a full install and a live disc" Most people seem to think that the only difference is one is ran off the hard disc and the other is ran off of a ram disc (the live disc loads into ram) 2 I thought maybe my external it's self might be degrading. But I am not yet convinced of that. So far the most common cause I have been able to come up with, is things start to get really quirky when I try to install my HP printer. I've been to the Zorin forums and discussed installing my particular printer. It seems that nobody else is using my Model of Printer therefor all I get from people is try this or try that. And whenever things don't go right, I'm left with a mess, and have no choice but to do a full operating system re install.

Zorin seems to be built on top of ubuntu. I feel like I'm ready to abandon Zorin since I can't seem to get to do everything I need it to do. One mainly here is use my printer correctly.

Just as I'm getting things decided about if I want to continue fighting with Zorin or try another disto, I stumbled across several youtube videos. Several of these are by Richard Stallman, and the things he said really got me to worry. He says that Microsoft spies on it's users. They know what programs you installed on your computer and even could disable or delete them remotely. He also added that through windows media player they can tell what you are watching, whenever you use that. I saw another video where He criticized Ubuntu for giving it's users some Proprietary software, which in his view is potentially dangerous, since the manufacture controls the product and thus controls you. While I think Mr. Stallman's views are beyond what will ever become reality, I think most of us switch to Linux to get out from under Microsofts thumb, and away from many of the issues that come with running windows.

The bottom line is, I'm looking for a version of Linux that is mostly freeware that will run my printer correctly. Hopefully something that is stable enough to keep running beyond just a few boots. Any suggestions?

Just Joined!
    find the distro the fits most with your hardware because you you can adapt the desktop and other software aspects according to your preferences.
    no distro will be compatible with your printer out-of-the-box unless your printer is HP ..your to install the driver of the printer yourself..

Try the distro quiz. It might be helpful.
    zegenie Studios Linux Distribution Chooser
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

If you like the *buntu based distro's, try Lubuntu or Xubuntu. You can go to distrowatch.com for a summary of distro's. They have the top 100 in popularity listed on the right hand side of the page, or you can do a search using different criteria, such as based on ubuntu, or beginner. If you have questions ask and one of us will try to help you. Other distro's you might consider are AntiX, Crunchbang, Debian, Mageia, or ZorinOS.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    I really like the layout of ZorinOS, but that's the one that has been giving me lots of problems. I took the disto test, and I have a copy of everyone that it listed for me. I have already posted a question about my printer on 3 different linux websites. It will print out of the box, but you can't print on both sides of a page without doing something extra. That is where I seem to get into trouble. Because when I follow the instructions posted by whoever wrote them for this HP printer, I get errors in the terminal.

I really like the layout of ZorinOS,
    Because when I follow the instructions posted by whoever wrote them for this HP printer, I get errors in the terminal.
    You in my opinion are being a victim of file layouts on a spinoff system. You don't realize this because you are a new linux user.
    Spinoff distros like Zorin may have files located in different sub directories like usr/local/bin instead of usr/bin as just a example of what
    I am trying to point out here. Maybe lib6 is older or newer (I don't know though) or Gtk2 or Gtk3 is being used (I don't know either as I
    don't use Zorin OS).

One finds out these things as they progress learning their distro of choice. You will notice most users on a forum suggest the distro
    they are using because everything works for them and so the distro is perfect.

Zorin forums is where you will probably get the best answers (that based on Ubuntu really does not cover everything when it comes to developer inspired file changes) for Zorin OS.

Small user base means limited views and feedback on a problem. I outa know. I run MacPup 529 and AntiX and SoluOS. All minority communties. Not big communities like
    Arch, Debian,Gentoo,Ubuntu,Mint,Slackware, Though MacPup I can finagle help in Murga forums. AntiX solutions I can glean from Debian Documentation.
    Because MacPup runs E17. Certain things don't work because I am using the Enlightenment Desktop. But if I switch to Jims Window Manager. The application will work.
    Just the nature of the beast is what I am trying to say I guess.

I won't suggest anything though because of

So far I've created 10 ~ 12 different kinds of Linux live boot discs. Most of these appear to be a kind of Ubuntu. I also have several types of mint. Just from running the Live DVDs, I decided that I really like the look and feel of Zorin.

is things start to get really quirky when I try to install my HP printer.

will run my printer correctly

I have already posted a question about my printer on 3 different linux websites
    Because

1. You have said alot and tried everything (what, I don't know. Because. My mind reading software is being updated at the present)
    2. Refer to question 1 (printer? model number,was cups installed, is cups deamon running)

Have you tried this distro test

Distro Picker | TuxRadar Linux

Have you tried in Zorin

Debian HCL; Debian GNU/Linux device driver check & report <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<make a text file of readout in Zorin and save it in Documents folder

with the printer plugged in have you tried

Code:
    sudo lsusb -t
    To see the printer and driver being used. <<<<<<make another text file or add the readout to the one above I suggested you make.

Just some rambling thoughts from a linux biker on a Sunday night after a weekend of living life for a living.

It will print out of the box, but you can't print on both sides of a page without doing something extra. That is where I seem to get into trouble. Because when I follow the instructions posted by whoever wrote them for this HP printer, I get errors in the terminal.
    And I have no idea what is going on with that.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I use cups to manage my printers. Open a browser and point it at Open Source and Linux Forums and you should be asked for your user and password. Some distros expect the user to be root instead of your user. You will get a browser based GUI to set up your printer, including duplexing.

More info
    Last edited by elija; 05-06-2013 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Added link to info
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!