Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Oooh. Okay, I hit a little snag. I used Fedora LiveUSB creator to make a LIVEUSB. I try to boot from it in Windows 8, but nothing happens. I'll try ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Oooh. Okay, I hit a little snag. I used Fedora LiveUSB creator to make a LIVEUSB. I try to boot from it in Windows 8, but nothing happens. I'll try some different BIOS settings, but I think Legacy Boot is enabled right now. Maybe if I turn off UEFI boot, who knows. I read around a little bit, but none of the issues match mine. No rush to answer though, I'm working on some other stuff so I'll be away for a bit. If there's anything obvious that I'm doing wrong, please point it out. Thanks!

DonQuixoteMC

DonQuixoteMC, I think you received lots of good answers. As a relative newby also, I would like to stress that you do check the hardware for the destination. The descriptions can be misleading and cause lots of work on something that is not supported. Mainly these are in the Wifi drivers. Most have copyrighted or patented code 'blobs' (which is referred to as firmware or also drivers). Since most seem to load data into the device, I don't know if you would label it driver, I don't think so, maybe firmware is a better term. Whatever it's called, I beat my head on it for many months.

I guess what I'm driving at is that the idea of a 'live Linux' is not a bad idea. When you have it up, check all of your com lines, wifi or Ethernet for functionality. Since you are new with LInux, check out the information on bringing up a wifi device and make sure you know what's expected of you and not the software. Most of the time if it's in the release, it loads and work ok. If not, it could be a problem or you might have to do something simple like bring up the interface. It helps if you are prepared and not just waiting to see if it 'worked'.

Best of luck, I'm sure you'll do fine. Jump in and get your feet wet!

BTW, I've decided on Debian. I like it and they just released 'Wheezy' as a stable version so that's what's being distributed. Have fun...

Jack

Maybe I'm not understanding what "Live"Linux is. I might be following directions for installing Linux when what I'm actually looking for is how to run a LiveUSB. So I'll look into that. I'm sure there are plenty things I'm doing wrong, and the next thing I'll do is your suggestion, to check what actually supports my hardware. It sounds a little important haha.

I'm also going to spend some quality time with a search engine and learn more about the process. I agree that the first thing I should do when I get it running is to check "all systems" to see if things are in working order. Thanks for the suggestions! I'd be lost without them

And now, I should go back to writing my final (Even though Linux is MUCH more fascinating)

Best,
    DonQuixoteMC

Quote Originally Posted by DonQuixoteMC View Post
    Oooh. Okay, I hit a little snag. I used Fedora LiveUSB creator to make a LIVEUSB. I try to boot from it in Windows 8, but nothing happens. I'll try some different BIOS settings, but I think Legacy Boot is enabled right now. Maybe if I turn off UEFI boot, who knows. I read around a little bit, but none of the issues match mine. No rush to answer though, I'm working on some other stuff so I'll be away for a bit. If there's anything obvious that I'm doing wrong, please point it out. Thanks!

DonQuixoteMC

Don't boot it within Windows. Turn your machine off, then back on. Go into the BIOS if you must...set it to boot from USB first. Save and exit. You should now be looking at the LiveUSB booting if you did it correctly. Can't go wrong with this guide.
    How to create and use Live USB - FedoraProject
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Trusted Penguin
    I'd quote sections of each of your posts, but I'm not entirely sure how
    if you want to include quotes from multiple sources, you can do it manually:

1. copy and paste the text from a thread

2. surround the text in quote mark-up by either highlighting the text and pressing the talk bubble icon in the tool bar above, or literally typing [ QUOTE ] before the text and [ / QUOTE ] after the text (don't use spaces like i did, i was just fooling the forum software the tags would not get interpreted).

3. that is enough to create the quote, but now you need the source's username. simply type =USERNAME after the "E" in the opening [ QUOTE ] tag, substituting the source's username. for example:

[ QUOTE=atreyu ] fuzzy wuzzy was a bear [ / QUOTE ]

you can also link to the specific thread, after the username, if you want, i'll let you figure that out.

note that when you do a Reply With Quote, you can see this mark-up in your preview.
    DonQuixoteMC likes this.

Trusted Penguin
    Maybe I'm not understanding what "Live"Linux is.
    A Live distro simply means that the OS nor any data is written to your hard drives. It is all run in memory, and sometimes partially from the CD/DVD.

Ohhh. Okay, so you would still access it by booting from the CD/USB?

Trusted Penguin
    what do you mean by "access it"? i'm not sure i understand your question.

Exactly. You boot the LiveUSB instead of Windows, that's how Linux works. It "Replaces" Windows itself. You *can* get it installed inside Windows like any other program, that's called a WUBI install. I haven't tried that so I can't really help with that part.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Well, that's quite the revelation. Makes sense! You could also install it as a full on OS, right? What are your thoughts on that, as opposed to a dual boot or just a live boot?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast