Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Wow! That's brilliant haha That's something I should definitely get. At least until them I can't do too much damage. Unless there's a shell command that melts your processor....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Wow! That's brilliant
    haha
    That's something I should definitely get.
    At least until them I can't do too much damage. Unless there's a shell command that melts your processor.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by DonQuixoteMC View Post
    "rm /tmp" fails because it only designated a path to the object that was to be deleted, but no actual object, while "rm /tmp -r" would delete the directory?
    kind of. "rm /tmp" fails because it is assumed that the argument to be deleted ("/tmp" in this case) is a file, not a directory. so the object does exist. The "-r" says to work on directories (and their sub-directories).

Ohhhh okay haha

Thanks!

Alright, well, now that I'm settling into using Linux, I'm wondering what kind of anti-virus I need, if any.

I know the majority of viruses target windows, and so a Linux OS would be immune (How would that work with WINE?), but I am still curious if I should get some sort of antivirus (Like CamAV?).

Best,
    DonQuixoteMC

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    It's a little bit old but still entertaining. And interestingly this. I do run clamAV but only because I share data with Windows using friends.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Trusted Penguin
    it never hurts to be safe. especially if you have Windows boxes on your LAN and you regularly share files between them. ClamAV is very popular. I use AVG myself at work and home and it works just fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    It's a little bit old but still entertaining. And interestingly this.
    Thanks for the links, Elija. The first one was hilarious
    As for the second, I have a couple questions: Was the command he used to "cure" his computer (rm -rf ~/.wine), a wildcard remove command? I'm just wondering what the significance of the "~" is in that command. OR is the "~" specific to removing all files of that type?

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu
    I use AVG myself at work and home and it works just fine for me.
    I have some licenses for a lightweight, (reportedly powerful) anti-virus "Vipre." How would compatibility work for that?

I think a possible solution would be set up the firewall whenever connected to the internet, and then start up ClamAV whenever I wanted to scan my computer/a questionable file. What do you think of that setup?

One more question: You gave me instructions earlier to set up another user other than root. After I do that, how could I give root ownership of all of my executable files (.exe? if that's the right file type)? So that when I use Linux as the other user, and if I get a virus, it cannot access those .exe files because it does not have "root's permission'

If I'm wrong about any of those questions, please correct me. I really don't know a whole lot about what I'm asking, I'm just trying to make intelligent guesses based on the stuff I have read about it.

Thanks!
    Last edited by DonQuixoteMC; 05-11-2013 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Removed a dumb question

Trusted Penguin
    Was the command he used to "cure" his computer (rm -rf ~/.wine), a wildcard remove command? I'm just wondering what the significance of the "~" is in that command. OR is the "~" specific to removing all files of that type?
    there was no wildcard character in that command. the asterisk (*) is the wildcard char. that command said to remove ("rm") the directory ("-r") without prejudice ("-f") the directory ".wine" in the users's home dir ("~"). The tilde character is synonymous with the user's home dir (which should also be the value of the $HOME env var).

I have some licenses for a lightweight, (reportedly powerful) anti-virus "Vipre." How would compatibility work for that?
    according to their website, it is an SDK? That is like a library or API that allows you to build a front-end, user-facing application (vs the application itself). that may not be what you want, or maybe you know you'd be getting a ready-to-use solution? anyway, i've never heard of it myself.

I think a possible solution would be set up the firewall whenever connected to the internet, and then start up ClamAV whenever I wanted to scan my computer/a questionable file. What do you think of that setup?
    you want a firewall running, yes, absolutely. and i think your approach is good: to scan files as you think it warrants. i have a script written for AVG that i use at work all the time. it scans a file or a directory of files and makes it obvious to me if it finds anything. i like it b/c i am used to doing most of my downloading from the command line (wget, etc.).

One more question: You gave me instructions earlier to set up another user other than root. After I do that, how could I give root ownership of all of my executable files (.exe? if that's the right file type)? So that when I use Linux as the other user, and if I get a virus, it cannot access those .exe files because it does not have "root's permission'
    The sudo command is an ideal candidate for that. Use the visudo command to edit the sudo file (typically /etc/sudoers).

you'd want a sudo entry something like this:
    Code:
    joebow ALL = (root) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/virusscanner
    that command says that user joeblow can run the command virusscanner as user root without being prompted for a password on the local system. run "man sudo", "man sudoers", and man "visudo" for more help on sudo.

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    there was no wildcard character in that command.
    Okay, makes sense. I guess I was associating the "~" with "approximately" (≈). It was just a guess.

according to their website, it is an SDK? That is like a library or API that allows you to build a front-end, user-facing application (vs the application itself). that may not be what you want, or maybe you know you'd be getting a ready-to-use solution? anyway, i've never heard of it myself.
    I know with Windows it's similar to AVG in that it's a standalone program, but maybe it's different in Linux. Either way, I have always used AVG myself (A friend just offered me one of his licenses to VIPRE). So I think I will either stick with firewall+ClamAV, or firewall+AVG. What would you recommend? I would be getting the free version of AVG, if that makes any difference.

...doing most of my downloading from the command line (wget, etc.).
    Just for future reference, does "wget" bypass the gui of the software manager and download the chosen software?

The advice you gave me about the sudo command I'll have to follow. I don't quite understand it yet, but I'll look for a guide plus use the man pages you suggested.

Thanks so much, atreyu. Your help has been invaluable.
    and I have to say, our timing couldn't be better. I just got home and it said that you had posted this 12 minutes ago

Best,
    DonQuixoteMC

Trusted Penguin
    So I think I will either stick with firewall+ClamAV, or firewall+AVG. What would you recommend? I would be getting the free version of AVG, if that makes any difference.
    i'd go with ClamAV or AVG only b/c they are well known and established Linux products.

Just for future reference, does "wget" bypass the gui of the software manager and download the chosen software?
    yes, wget is a command line client that uses the http protocol to download files on the web in a terminal, be they web pages or other files. there are others: curl is a popular one.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast