Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Wonderful! One more question: When I get to the point of doing an installation of Linux, I'm thinking I will "delete" everything off the Hard drive so that it's (kind ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Wonderful!

One more question:

When I get to the point of doing an installation of Linux, I'm thinking I will "delete" everything off the Hard drive so that it's (kind of) a clean install of Linux. My only hesitation is that I would like to make some kind of restore media for the Windows OS that I'm removing.
    My thoughts are that no matter what I do, if I remove Windows 8 (AN OEM installation) I won't have any way to put it back on without retail installation media. Personally, I don't care. By the time I would do this, I'm sure I will know if I wanted to use Linux or not. I guess it's for peace of mind, but would you know of any way to make some kind of recovery or installation media from the Windows 8 OS so I could install it again later?

I'm relatively positive I can't, but if you happen to have any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Have a look at Clonezilla which may be all you need (if you have a disk to store the image on)
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

That sounds perfect! I don't know why I didn't even think of cloning

SO, if I made a live USB of Clonezilla, booted it then cloned my hard drive and put it on an external hard drive, I would be able to put that clone back onto the original hard drive if things went really badly?

Thanks!!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by DonQuixoteMC View Post
    SO, if I made a live USB of Clonezilla, booted it then cloned my hard drive and put it on an external hard drive, I would be able to put that clone back onto the original hard drive if things went really badly?
    yep. boot w/Clonezilla again and restore from the image on the external to the built-in drive.

are you sure there are no programs installed in the Win8 OS for "creating a reinstallation DVD" or similar? Two Win7 laptops i purchased recently (ASUS and Acer) had such an option, i think it is an easier way for the OEM to provide the media w/o giving the end-user copies of the OS itself.

Yeah, mine did too, but I screwed it up when I re-partitioned the hard-drive (when I was going to put my system image on the SSD). That's one of the big reasons why I'm switching to Linux on this laptop, so that that SSD doesn't go to waste. I tried for too long to get around the lack of installation media with Windows, so I'm done. (I'd link you the thread I tried to find a solution with, but it's kind of pitiful)

Oh! I just thought of another question: I know with the normal Windows install to SSD, I needed to unplug the hdd, for simplicity's sake. Do I still need to do this if I installed Linux onto the SSD? I'm guessing that I could just install Linux onto the SSD, then just delete everything off the HDD. (I would be installing from the LiveUSB)

Haha. On another note, I tried a LiveUSB of Fedora 18 yesterday. I loved it, but you were right about GNOME 3, it does look like a smart-phone
    (I'm thinking of settling with Fedora for a while, I'm going to try OpenSUSE first though. And if I were to go with Fedora 18, how straightforward is changing the desktop setup? I'm not a huge fan of Gnome 3)

Thanks for the reply!

Best,
    DonQuixoteMC

UPDATE:
    I went ahead with the installation, I now have Fedora 18 on my SSD and a completely "empty" HDD.

Goals:
    1. Move "Trash" to HDD.
    2. Make it so all new files go to HDD.
    3. Have the HDD boot(I don't know the proper wording with that one) with the computer so I don't have to mount it every time I want to access it
    4. Move all non-essential files from SSD to HDD
    5. Optimize SSD (Another thread)
    6. Figure out how to access BIOS

Plus some other things, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

If you have any tips, please let me know. Otherwise, thanks for the help, guys!

DonQuixoteMC

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by DonQuixoteMC View Post
    On another note, I tried a LiveUSB of Fedora 18 yesterday. I loved it, but you were right about GNOME 3, it does look like a smart-phone
    (I'm thinking of settling with Fedora for a while, I'm going to try OpenSUSE first though. And if I were to go with Fedora 18, how straightforward is changing the desktop setup? I'm not a huge fan of Gnome 3)
    1. MATE
    Code:
    yum groupinstall "MATE Desktop"
    2. Cinnamon
    Code:
    yum groupinstall "Cinnamon Desktop"
    3. Put GNOME 3 in fallback mode and install shell extensions that make it look like legacy GNOME
    Code:
    yum install gnome-shell-extension*
    in all cases, log out, then when logging back in, pick one.
    DonQuixoteMC likes this.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I have never used SSD but as I understand it the modern ones have a similar life expectency to a HDD. On that basis, I would format my HDD to ext4 and move all my documents to it. I would leave everything else on the SSD. I would mount the HDD somewhere under my home directory, for example at /home/elija/Documents/

Out of interest, how did you find the installer? It has been criticised in various magazine reviews here in the UK for being unnecessarily tricky.
    DonQuixoteMC likes this.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Out of interest, how did you find the installer? It has been criticised in various magazine reviews here in the UK for being unnecessarily tricky.
    good question. i have yet to deal w/it myself - i'm still running F17. i think i'm going to wait until F19 is out.

Quote Originally Posted by elija
    I would leave everything else on the SSD. I would mount the HDD somewhere under my home directory, for example at /home/elija/Documents/
    Okay, this is a part of Linux that I have yet to figure out. How do I access the "Windows Explorer" of Linux? Not that I'm trying to imitate Windows, but I really liked being able to open up the "Explorer" at "My Computer," then navigate from there. OR better yet, what would be commands for reaching directories? I've been trying to get to my .conf files, but I really don't know how.

Quote Originally Posted by elija
    Out of interest, how did you find the installer? It has been criticized in various magazine reviews here in the UK for being unnecessarily tricky.
    Everything went smoothly, until I did the "yum update." It had a bug where it essentially created two dependencies for the /boot directory, so instead of choosing one, it chose neither. Anyway, I was trying to fix it and whaddya' know, the age old "turn it off, then on again" actually worked (happened by accident). I don't understand what really happened... But, I'm getting used to that feeling

Other than that, it's a very comfy out-of-box experience (So far).

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu
    1. MATE
    Code:
    yum groupinstall "MATE Desktop"
    2. Cinnamon
    Code:
    yum groupinstall "Cinnamon Desktop"
    3. Put GNOME 3 in fallback mode and install shell extensions that make it look like legacy GNOME
    Code:
    yum install gnome-shell-extension*
    in all cases, log out, then when logging back in, pick one.
    I did install Cinnamon right away, but other than a few more options, I wasn't a huge fan. I think I'll use MATE instead. And what does the "yum install gnome-shell-extension*" do? I understand that the others install new desktop layouts, but I'm at a loss for the last one.

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu
    good question. i have yet to deal w/it myself - i'm still running F17. i think i'm going to wait until F19 is out.
    I'm curious, what does the release of a new version of the Distro do? My customizations wouldn't disappear after an update, right? It's not like the difference between XP and Vista, but more like an XP Service Pack 1 type update? I really should just look this up and not bother you guys with it haha

Thanks for the help, guys. I'm always very paranoid about the SSD write-endurance. I just need to remember that its not a realistic problem. I'll take your advice, elija

I do have my HDD formatted for Linux (ext4), I just need to figure out how to mount it as /home/documents(...) as you said.

AH and one more thing. How do I disable GUI boot? both the Lenovo and Fedora splash screen are bugging me. Aannnd... (I guess this is two more things) how do I change what starts up with the computer?

Sorry for the barrage of questions

Thanks again!

DonQuixoteMC

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast