Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
Like Tree10Likes
Originally Posted by DonQuixoteMC Okay, this is a part of Linux that I have yet to figure out. How do I access the "Windows Explorer" of Linux? It depends on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Trusted Penguin

Quote Originally Posted by DonQuixoteMC View Post
    Okay, this is a part of Linux that I have yet to figure out. How do I access the "Windows Explorer" of Linux?
    It depends on the DM. In the case of Fedora, you'll probably be using Nautilus. You can either launch it from the Terminal with simply:
    Code:
    nautilus
    or you should be able to find a shortcut to it in the Applications area. Usually there is something called Home that you can click on.

OR better yet, what would be commands for reaching directories? I've been trying to get to my .conf files, but I really don't know how.
    if you are bothering with Linux, then it would behoove you to learn command line methods for everything you do. in this day and age of Shiny Linux 2.0, you don't *need* to, but you'll learn more, and have more control, and ultimately enjoy it more, if you do.

so open a terminal and learn to "cd" from dir to dir and "ls" files and directories. start with your home dir, e.g.:
    Code:
    # this takes you to your home dir
    cd 

# this lists non-hidden files and dirs there
    ls
    read the man pages:
    Code:
    man cd
    man ls
    what config files are you looking for? most of them are in /etc or in subdirs of that. your root dir is "/", think of it like your C:\ drive (but not really...). all programs are usually in /usr/bin, admin progs are in /usr/sbin, libraries and header files are in /usr/lib and /usr/include, and logs, pid files, and such are in /var. The /proc filesystem represents a userspace interface into kernel data structures, and /sys is like a virtual filesystem used for configuring the kernel and interfacing with devices.

And what does the "yum install gnome-shell-extension*" do? I understand that the others install new desktop layouts, but I'm at a loss for the last one.
    It installs a bunch of extensions to the GNOME shell, which is used in GNOME 3. You can install the GNOME Tweak Tool and it allows you to take advantage of these in a point-and-click fashion. Come to think of it, i think you need GNOME to *not* be in fallback mode to use the extensions, or maybe just some of them.
    Code:
    yum install gnome-tweak-tool
    I'm curious, what does the release of a new version of the Distro do? My customizations wouldn't disappear after an update, right? It's not like the difference between XP and Vista, but more like an XP Service Pack 1 type update? I really should just look this up and not bother you guys with it haha
    it really depends on the distro. Some distros, like Arch, are rolling releases, that are constantly updating your system. Others are not so friendly to upgrading from major version to major version. Some are better at it than others. For example, I used pre-upgrade tool to go from Fedora 15 to Fedora 17 and it kept all of my personal files in tact, as well as all my application configs. the unwritten rule is, no matter the distro, if you are doing a major version upgrade - back up anything you care about first!

How do I disable GUI boot? both the Lenovo and Fedora splash screen are bugging me.
    try this

how do I change what starts up with the computer?
    Code:
    systemctl disable <SOME_NAME>.service
    where SOME_NAME is one of:
    Code:
    systemctl
    most of these start-up scripts can be found here:
    Code:
    /lib/systemd/system
    or here:
    Code:
    /etc/systemd/system
    DonQuixoteMC likes this.