Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I am a user of linux. My linux history extends for 6 months. First because of ubuntu's amazing advertisements i decided my first distro to be ubuntu which was ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux distros

Hello. I am a user of linux. My linux history extends for 6 months. First because of ubuntu's amazing advertisements i decided my first distro to be ubuntu which was not good. My sound was suffering
    So i switched to the famous beloved linux mint. Which i could not say a single bad thing about. It worked super perfect out of the box. i stayed with it for 4 months. But i got bored of it.
    And now i am thinking of a distro. that comes with no graphical desktop. But of course the installation is graphical :P
    The reason for no graphical desktop is so that i can install any desktop i wish. Cinnamon , mate , gnome , kde , LXDE etc. I 'd prefer for the installation of them distro to be light weight And the os would come clean of bloatware. And of course with a powerful package manager. I am thinking about debian. Tho the stable release is about 6/12 months old. I am thinking about the Testing distro. Which is regenerated weekly. I hope that would be the latest. Also by the way. Is it actually a rolling release? Every few days the distro would automatically update and slow down my already slow internet? I heard debian comes with no graphical interface . I hear it has a super package manager. And it is compatible with most 99% of the linux distros out there. Cause everything i downloaded for ubuntu/mint had debian written on it! So what do you think? would debian testing distro serve the purpose? Have the ability to install gnome 3.8. The latest cinnamon and kde. Etc And ofcourse. If you read all that. Thank you. Please post replies and ideas.

Hello and Welcome. You can install almost any Desktop on any distro. Pick a distro and go from there. Debian sounds great.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Welcome to LinuxForums!
    Not only did you describe Debian... you also gave a decent description of Slackware, Gentoo, Arch and CRUX.
    With all of these, minimal is the way to go. Install what you want... and ONLY what you want.
    Last edited by jayd512; 05-09-2013 at 08:11 PM. Reason: spelling
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Thanks MikeTbob . Extra point for debian .
    Jayd512. Actually i was planning on installing arch. I hear great things about it. But i need much more knowledge :P Since i hear arch and gentoo are "A pain" To install . Also debian seems cool. Thanks . Time for some little fun .

Just Joined!
    Debian testing cd image one!
    According to debian's site the first cd/dvd iso file is the thing needed for a very basic debian system. My guess is that the dvd comes with some other stuff. And the CD one is just the pure OS. Which is just what i want. Plus it takes much less time to download. Gonna download it. . Wish me luck!