Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, I'm very new to linux of 2weeks now and when moving from windows 8 to dual boot i lent out about 10GB space for the live CD. As ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

drive space help needed

Hi guys,

I'm very new to linux of 2weeks now and when moving from windows 8 to dual boot i lent out about 10GB space for the live CD.

As I have been downloading packages etc and feeling my way around I downloaded some wordlists earlier and recovery and 3 other windows appeared on my desktop. So i check my disk space and this is what i see:-

Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda7 9117212 7546800 1107280 88% /
    udev 922796 12 922784 1% /dev
    tmpfs 372800 1012 371788 1% /run
    none 5120 0 5120 0% /run/lock
    none 931996 76 931920 1% /run/shm
    none 102400 12 102388 1% /run/user
    cgroup 931996 0 931996 0% /sys/fs/cgroup

Now i have been using this OS in superuser mode since i began (didn't know to put another user, so I did that but don't use it). I did see on another thread here that this was abuse and might be why it's eating drive space.

I also spent some time and got Gparted to try and add driver space to my swap, which i did but hers what i see:-

linux swap has 8gb cause i added to it and
    /dev/sta7 8.83GB and 1.5 left unused but i can't expand the vol. on that one. Just have the option of unmount which it wont let me do.

Should i use the user instead of superuser or a way to expand this?

I'm using linux mint 14 Nadia and every point of call is ubuntu and not really helping me.

Cheers

Just Joined!
    Also i will mention i can'tgetinto root or lost+found folder as don'e have permissions ? Bit out of my depth here and even wth the reading I can't find an answer. I got rid of the word lists and still the same thing pops up on my command line.

Linux Guru
    Linux Mint uses 'sudo' rather than creating a root user by default. If you want to make system changes, you prefix a command with 'sudo' (w/o quotes). You can also open the file manager that way. The information you posted doesn't tell us much except that sda7 partition is 88% full. Run these command to get more info and post it here:

sudo fdisk -l (lower case Letter L in the command)
    df -h or sudo df -h

10GB is a pretty small partition. The basic system on an initial install will be nearly 5GB.
    I doubt you will ever need 8GB swap but I guess that depends on what you use the computer for.
    There is no reason to get into the lost+found folder. Google it to find its purpose. Also, to get into the /root directory you need to use sudo. sudo nautilus might do it although I believe Mint now uses a different file manager, caja?? You'll have to look that up.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Linux Mint uses 'sudo' rather than creating a root user by default. If you want to make system changes, you prefix a command with 'sudo' (w/o quotes). You can also open the file manager that way. The information you posted doesn't tell us much except that sda7 partition is 88% full. Run these command to get more info and post it here:

sudo fdisk -l (lower case Letter L in the command)
    df -h or sudo df -h

10GB is a pretty small partition. The basic system on an initial install will be nearly 5GB.
    I doubt you will ever need 8GB swap but I guess that depends on what you use the computer for.
    There is no reason to get into the lost+found folder. Google it to find its purpose. Also, to get into the /root directory you need to use sudo. sudo nautilus might do it although I believe Mint now uses a different file manager, caja?? You'll have to look that up.
    Thanks for the reply, but i dumped my windows 8 system and just botted linux mint as my only system. Windows was crap and when i found mint a couple of weeks ago i wanted to change until my snag. Im up and running on this now and I will continue to learn. Thanks again and no doubt i will be back with more questions in the future.