Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a similar issue. With the Acer Travelmate X4something. Looking at the history, whoever set it up trashed, even shredded, a bunch of man pages and a bunch of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Angry missing commands

I have a similar issue. With the Acer Travelmate X4something. Looking at the history, whoever set it up
    trashed, even shredded, a bunch of man pages and a bunch of executables. Including ssh and X11R6 at least (curiously, the X11 folder is still in the search path of the shell!). But not consistently: some commands that work have no man page, and some man pages that are present are for commands which are not found in the computer.

But it has mount and vi which is all I need. So I haven't even booted it from the CD that comes with it....

To get it to recognise my usb stick, it doesn't always do this automatically, I type
    mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb/

and then I can send and receive files via sneakernet.

I am a Linux newbie but I have used Berkeley Unix on the Mac for some time, only not as sysadmin....
    Last edited by andrebourbaki; 05-10-2013 at 12:48 AM. Reason: X11R6 was deleted, too.

Thread moved here.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.