Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Hello Guys I am willing to buy a new laptop cuz my HP does'nt support linux much due to of the GPU(Intel- AMD)... It causes lots of heat >> Anyway ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help in Choosing my new laptop :)

Hello Guys I am willing to buy a new laptop cuz my HP does'nt support linux much due to of the GPU(Intel- AMD)... It causes lots of heat >>
    Anyway I dont really Get it but I searched alot in my country I found Dell Inspiron 5520 Comes With ubuntu
    and there also another DeLL but I didnt catch its number
    Anyway I think its specs are too high for me and I am afraid it do the same as my current HP due to the Core I7 and the AMD and intel GPU..
    Also I would like anyone to recommend a laptop for me Free-Dos but it is compatible 100% with Linux and works with no errors or thing.. Waiting your Suggestions as soon as possible

I just went through this process, so I hope I can help!

To start with, we need a ball-park price range. I find that that's the best way to narrow down searches. If your budget is anywhere around $600 -$700 you could get what I got: a Lenovo U410. I'm REALLY pleased with it. Linux also has run flawlessly on it so far (I have tried Mint and TinyCore, both detected all my hardware perfectly).
    I think though, you probably would be fine with a cheaper laptop, as Linux is very efficient, performance wise.

Things to consider:

1. Like I said before, price range defines your search the best. But equally important is what you want to do with it. If you want to run windows games through WINE, then you'll want beefier specs, as a general rule. Or, if you're big into editing (sound/video/images) you may want more RAM (for example) and a fast processor/hard drive to access large files more quickly. And of course, if you're just web browsing/document editing/general use type stuff, you probably could work with a very cheap (Intel and nVidia) laptop. Those are just some things to consider.

2. Next, one of the first things you'll see advertised about a laptop is its processor. While it's an intuitive ratio of performance to price/#ofcores/core clocks, something I didn't really think about, for Linux, was the core architecture: 32-bit or 64-bit. Here's a great resource on the forum that answered my questions: "Should you choose 32-bit or 64-bit Linux". (I know the title may not sound relevant, but if you're getting the laptop to use with Linux, it is). One more thing, this isn't a big issue, as most OEM, Intel processor laptops come with 64-bit processors. But double check anyway.

3. You may want to hear from the more experienced Linux veterans on how to fix your computer's problems.

Either way though, don't go out of your way to get a laptop that comes pre-installed with Linux. It's VERY easy to install Linux (Even I can do it ). Just buy a laptop that you know has hardware that is compatible. One of my favorite sites for finding computers/computer parts is Newegg.com. There are a lot of variables you can change with your search and its site controls I have found to be pretty useful. Then, once you have narrowed down possible candidates (based on some of the guidelines I mentioned) check specific hardware with this Database. Although it is dated, so you might want to find a more recent one (Sorry about that).

Finally, you might want to choose what Distro you are aiming to use, as every distro is different. If you aren't sure, this quiz is pretty useful to start a list with.

So, if you could answer some of the questions about what your price range is, what you are looking to do with the laptop, and possible distros, I'm sure I (and other users) could give you some more specific suggestions.

If you are interested in the Lenovo U410, I will do some more tests to ensure compatibility.

Best of luck!

DonQuixoteMC
    Last edited by DonQuixoteMC; 05-14-2013 at 01:40 AM.
    MikeTbob likes this.

Just Joined!
    I will use fedora / ubuntu + BackTrack... my laptop will be just for programming and networking use only..
    I want to give samsung -lenovo -sony a shot ,, I really got tired of HP and DeLL

Any Ideas???
    what about the MSI U270 ??? Is it Good??? Any Hints ???

My Samsung RV510 runs linux just fine

Debian HCL - Samsung / RV510

Zareason makes prebuilt Linux Laptops also

ZaReason UltraLap 430, thin 14.1" linux laptop

what about the MSI U270 ??? Is it Good??
    Debian HCL - MSI / U270

MSI review

Review MSI Wind U270-E4523W7H Netbook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

I like My Samsung specs better but personal tastes plays into that.( I pay little attention to British reviews like, Top Gear. Being a southern boy
    from Texas). If Clarkson gives a bad review on a American car like my old ladies Chrysler Crossfire which
    we have had for a long time now. Well then, I take that as a endorsement to at least check it out. I laughed my butt off when he bought a ford after
    trashing American vehicles for years. So I take British reviews with a grain of salt.

Samsung RV510-A08UK - Notebookcheck.net External Reviews
    Last edited by rokytnji; 05-15-2013 at 11:08 AM.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    My Samsung RV510 runs linux just fine

Debian HCL - Samsung / RV510

Zareason makes prebuilt Linux Laptops also

ZaReason UltraLap 430, thin 14.1" linux laptop

Debian HCL - MSI / U270

MSI review

Review MSI Wind U270-E4523W7H Netbook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

I like My Samsung specs better but personal tastes plays into that.( I pay little attention to British reviews like, Top Gear. Being a southern boy
    from Texas).

Samsung RV510-A08UK - Notebookcheck.net External Reviews
    Sorry I dont Get what you are saying ??
    ur Samsung works good thats a quit a relief I am thinking about it what about the MSI?

I am thinking about it what about the MSI?
    I included info on the MSI. What don't you understand?
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    I dont understand if the laptops you give to me will work good on linux for the purposes I want or Not
    CAn you Help me with it? all i want is a good laptop or mini laptop like MSI to use Linux Freely with No Worries about The HARDWARE

Debian HCL - MSI / U270

That link shows the MS hardwareI is compatible with a current Linux kernel, no matter the distro.

This link below may help you understand better maybe.

MSI Wind U270 [Linux Laptop Wiki]
    DonQuixoteMC likes this.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I'm glad you're getting help from someone who knows what he's talking about.

Just Joined!
    I mean does it work perfectly with no errors or something ?? Compatible 100% ???
    thats what I mean

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast