Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Everyone, I am a newbie to Linux (Well, not really, I have been using it on and off for quite some time now) The problem I have come across ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Every Linux Distro Does not Work for me.

Hello Everyone, I am a newbie to Linux (Well, not really, I have been using it on and off for quite some time now) The problem I have come across though is that now my computer (custom-made) does not want to accept any linux distro whats so ever.

I want to explore linux to its full potential. Right now I just downloaded Manjaro (My favorite Distro) within my computer as well with windows 7. It boots up fine, as well as grub, until I select Manjaro on Grub. After, a screen of pure greyness just pops up.

I have tried every linux distro that is within the top 15 on distrowatch, and all of them have the same problem. They dont start (Even ubuntu), They have graphical Errors and cannot run the most previous graphical interface such as Gnome 3.6, or the installation fails and I get the grub error, which is a pain in the ass switching back to the windows boot sector.

Now, my Question is, what is going on, and why does linux hate me? Why isn't it not letting me discover it at all? Here are the specs of my custom computer:

8GB Ram
    AMD 6670 Graphics card
    AMD Phenom II X6 6 Core

I just got a new motherboard too. Could that be a problem?

Trusted Penguin
    hello and welcome,

Quote Originally Posted by Envyforme View Post
    8GB Ram
    AMD 6670 Graphics card
    AMD Phenom II X6 6 Core

I just got a new motherboard too. Could that be a problem?
    possibly, your video card specifically. at the boot prompt of one of your Linux distros (I know this works for Fedora/CentOS/RHEL, etc.), disable framebuffer drivers:
    Code:
    vga=normal nomodeset
    you add this after the other arguments on the kernel line.

Just Joined!
    I have no idea how do do that, however, I do notice Ctrl + Alt + F2 works so I can access the Command Prompt or Terminal. Still looking to fix this.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    I suspect its the video card that could be causing problems for you. Try booting using safe mode and the system may load a generic graphics driver like fbdev. When installing the distro, append "nomdeset" to the kernel option. If nomodeset gives you a blank screen, try radeon.modeset=1.

Trusted Penguin
    I have no idea how do do that, however, I do notice Ctrl + Alt + F2 works so I can access the Command Prompt or Terminal.
    hi,
    let us know which distro you are using and we will be better armed to give you specific instructions, as it varies from distro to distro.

Just Joined!
    I don't have a safe mode upon boot, and I am using Manjaro for my distro. How do I append nomdeset?

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Your distribution may not call it safe mode. Some distros call it "fail safe" mode or something similar. As for appending options to the kernel when booting up, when you see the grub menu, press "e" and you will be able to edit the kernel options. Add nomodeset or radeon.modeset=1 at the end of the kernel paremeters and then do Ctrl-X to boot up.

Just Joined!
    I tried doing that for nomodeset, and I didn't get anything. Nothing worked. Same goes for The Radeon.modeset=1. I made a new line to the kernel too, and it did not work.

Edit: When I install Manjaro on my operating system, how do I disable nomodeset? That might be a proper fix.

Trusted Penguin
    I tried doing that for nomodeset, and I didn't get anything. Nothing worked. Same goes for The Radeon.modeset=1. I made a new line to the kernel too, and it did not work.
    What version of Manjaro are you using? Perhaps you've got a buggy version?

Have you tried adding the "vga=normal nomodeset" kernel parameters in a different Live CD? For example, in Fedora you'd do exactly what daark.child said (press "e", and jump to end of "kernel" line, add your parameters, and boot).