Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am mainly using linux for programming. I basically started with archlinux and manjaro and I kinda like it. What I really like is the package management. It has a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux distro for a developer

I am mainly using linux for programming. I basically started with archlinux and manjaro and I kinda like it.

What I really like is the package management. It has a huge collection of new software and the updates are coming out really fast.

For example when GCC 4.8 was released I instantly had it 2 days after the release which was pretty neat.

even small libraries such as "OpenAssetImporter" are in the repos.

It is so convenient because if you have a huge collection of libraries that are coming out frequently, all you have to do is a system update.

What bugs me is that my system breaks really often, and I don't want to spend so much time to fix stuff.

Basically all I want is up to date libraries such as gcc etc. I don't really care if I have up to date gnome etc.

Any recommendations that you can give me?

Gentoo is good. I think portage is the best package management system ever. You can use the glsa command to update only Gentoo Linux security Advisories.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 2
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Trusted Penguin
    Hi,

I use Fedora (17) for dev and I keep up with the system updates (every couple of days or so), and I haven't had any breakages yet. Tons of software packages at my disposal (+26,000 pkgs).

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close