Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All I want to install Linux on a server based overseas whereby multiple users can make use of a "desktop icon" that directly connects them to an application installed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Remote Application Access

Hi All

I want to install Linux on a server based overseas whereby multiple users can make use of a "desktop icon" that directly connects them to an application installed on the Linux server over the internet. The application can be executed multiple times (multiple instances). The user must be able to open the application in multiple instances from the users desktop with an internet connection. I am still getting my feet wet with Linux and I want to start from the basics up to being able to confidently deploy such a service as indicated above. What I am aiming to achieve is as follow:

Installing and configuring Linux on the Server

Developing/employing the necessary tools to enable multiple users to access the application via a secure framework from their local pc/laptop (win 7/

Administrative rights to monitor,disable,create ID's that are specific to each user with application access to the server via there "desktop icon"

Even if this might be a monumental task I know that all of the above and more can be done therefore I would appreciate it if any advanced users can provide me with a clear cut list as to where I can start to work my way to obtain the skills to be proficient enough in Linux and other open source software or proprietary software to enable me to execute the task at hand.

Thank you for your assistance it is kindly appreciated.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Use OpenVPN to create a virtual private network between clients and the host system - this is for security. Assuming that the application allows multiple connections anyway, then once the client is connected to the VPN, it will appear to the host system as a local client system, thus allowing connections as needed.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!

RemoteApp

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Use OpenVPN to create a virtual private network between clients and the host system - this is for security. Assuming that the application allows multiple connections anyway, then once the client is connected to the VPN, it will appear to the host system as a local client system, thus allowing connections as needed.
    Hi & thank you for replying, its kindly appreciated.

I will definitely be having a look at the OpenVPN solution you provided. In a nutshell I am currently using an EMR (electronic medical record) application which is java/PostgreSQL driven. The application currently runs on Windows but the party who owns the application told me that the application can be installed on Linux.

Unlimited instances can be executed concurrently (currently working successfully with Windows Server 2012/Vmware). However the high costs associated with acquiring a Windows Unlimited Server License & additional licenses (which will in fact only allow 25 users + additional licenses) is not economically viable, since I only want my clients to access the application remotely and not have access to a full fledged remote desktop or any other data on the server.

Each client would have to be able to remotely access the application via there windows based desktop/laptops.

Would you be able to advise regading

1) What Linux version and platform would be most suitable? (I am fond of Ubuntu/Server)

2) Would OpenVPN be best suited to allow multiple users with windows based machines to simultaneously access the application remotely?

Even though what I have queried has been explained very briefly, If you can please give me an outline as to what approach I can take to obtain the necessary know how/experience I would be very grateful.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Sorry for the delay in replying to this - been busy is my excuse (and it is summer - vacation time)...

1. Most Linux versions would be suitable to use with OpenVPN. If you prefer Ubuntu Server, then that should be just fine!
    2. OpenVPN allows an unlimited number of connections (theoretical at least). We have 1000's of users connected to our internal networks via this tech.

The major issue is one of secure sockets certificates. Certificate management is normally the most contentious issue with these systems. My organization (Nokia - not a "small" company), has a number of certificates that are used for connecting remotely to the company networks. If one gateway goes down, then you connect to another, using a different "cert". Fortunately, the system manages the certificates associated with each gateway, so this is pretty much transparent to the user, other than deciding to connect via the alternate gateway.

Just remember, Google is your friend! You should be able to find out whatever you need to know with the appropriate search terms.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!