Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all ! What is the best Linux live distro to access 1.7MB floppy via USB drive ? Does it exist a distrib that would support it natively ? If ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Best live distro to access to 1.7MB floppy via USB drive ?

Hi all !

What is the best Linux live distro to access 1.7MB floppy via USB drive ?

Does it exist a distrib that would support it natively ?

If not, what package do I need ?

The floppy has been formated under MS-DOS with FDFORMAT.EXE tool.

I've tried with MS-DOS 6.2 VM under VMWare player but it brutally stops when I try to view/edit the content of the 1.7MB floppy.

Thanks by advance for your suggestions.

Best regards,

Disket

Just Joined!
    Hi again !

One more thing.

I need to copy the content of the 1.7MB floppy onto an IDE internal hard drive (NTFS) or USB stick (FAT32).
    (I've another PC with SATA HD drive but it is quite "unstable" at the moment : random boot error)

If possible, I don't want to play with the HD partitions (ie create FAT32 one).

Regards,

Disket

Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!

Unhappy

Hi!

Thanks for your suggestion but it doesn't work for me.

I boot with new Puppy (nice!) distrib on an USB key (in fact a SD Card) .

I manage to mount a 1.7MB floppy but it's very very slow to finally show a catalog containing odd names of files.

I think I need a kind of driver to read such a floppy.
    (for MS-DOS it was done with fdread.exe)

The package you indicated me is for formatting.
    I just need to read a 1.7MB floppy.

...or pehaps my floppy drive can't read more than 1.44MB floppies.

Any idea ?

Regards,

Disket

Not really. I have used Macpup to make, Windows dos 6.2, Windows 3.1, and Windows 3.11 bootable floppy disks.

I thought all you needed was to

I need to copy the content of the 1.7MB floppy onto an IDE internal hard drive (NTFS) or USB stick (FAT32).
    which can be handled with drag and drop in rox file manager in Macpup. I recommended the older version of Macpup because I did not
    know what specs your computer has so better safe than sorry. I just showed the formatter because I thought you might need to blank the
    disks when done.

Use this search link to see if you can find what you need to install inside the live cd (you can put a save file in Windows that will save changes)
    Lots of Puppy users run off cd and keep their saved session in windows>my documents. Puppy picks it up during boot on cd.

Puppy Google Search

Sorry I can't be of more help. I only use Windows for tuning Motorcycles. Nothing else.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Hi!

To summarize, my problem is :

What Linux live distro, via an USB floppy drive, can read 1.7MB floppy, formatted under MS-DOS with a special tool called fdformat.exe ?

1.7MB is an enhanced floppy capicity > 1.44MB classical one.

Perhaps it's not possible and I'll have to put these old floppies into the trash...

Regards,

Disket.

You might want to close this thread as solved using the thread tools above your first post. Your title is misleading an folks might blow by this thread. Start a new thread titled

What Linux live distro, via an USB floppy drive, can read 1.7MB floppy, formatted under MS-DOS with a special tool called fdformat.exe ?
    Forum rules say you can't open multiple threads with the same problem. But you won't be doing that by closing this one as solved and starting the new one with the new title.
    It can't hurt to try IMO.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

LegacyOS, available through distrowatch.com, might work. It handles a lot of legacy equipment.
    Registered Linux user #526930