Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Code: harry@biker:~$ inxi -G Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RC410 [Radeon Xpress 200] X.Org: 1.12.4 driver: radeon Resolution: 1024x768@85.0hz GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on ATI RC410 GLX ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Code:
    harry@biker:~$ inxi -G
    Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RC410 [Radeon Xpress 200] 
               X.Org: 1.12.4 driver: radeon Resolution: 1024x768@85.0hz 
               GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on ATI RC410 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.5
    harry@biker:~$ glxgears
    Running synchronized to the vertical refresh.  The framerate should be
    approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
    369 frames in 5.0 seconds = 73.690 FPS
    422 frames in 5.0 seconds = 84.392 FPS
    426 frames in 5.0 seconds = 85.002 FPS
    425 frames in 5.0 seconds = 84.999 FPS
    425 frames in 5.0 seconds = 84.996 FPS
    harry@biker:~$ xrandr
    Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1024 x 768, maximum 4096x 4096
    VGA-0 connected 1024x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 355mm x 265mm
       1600x1200      75.0  
       1280x1024      85.0     75.0  
       1024x768       85.0*    75.1  
       800x600        85.1     75.0  
       640x480        85.0     75.0     60.0  
       720x400        70.1  
    S-video disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    Video for installing

Link

Our forum and members are friendly guys and we put up with newbies OK.

Video I made on my old IBM T23 Laptop with AntiX ,screenr and Java. It was not even a P4 laptop.

Video I made on this dumpster box I am posting from. Screenshot also included.

One can get the same results though from a Debian Net install.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    @rokytnji thx bro for the full support, so your final choice for my machine is AntiX but wich one i would download the full or base version what are the big difference between they... only the app? this distro give the chance to fully format the disk right?
    antix.mepis.org/index.php?title=Main_Page#Downloads
    Last edited by aLeD4x; 06-25-2013 at 07:02 AM.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    The main difference is in the applications pre-installed. Full will give a complete desktop out of the box, base will require you to install the applications you want and core is for complete control freaks* so as a newcomer to the Linux world, I would recommend grabbing a copy of the full version. It's harder to know what you want when you don't really know what's out there yet

* Disclaimer: I don't use Antix myself but that's how I read it on their site!
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by aLeD4x View Post
    @theCimmerian you are right at now in this winXP machine open more that four tabs on Mozilla Firefox is a huge deal, i will look if i can get some more RAM too but would be difficult coz is very old PC
    Maybe what I am about to write is already known to you, but I'll write it just in case: in Windows, your graphical environment is the one that Microsoft packages with the computer, and most of the background programs that run constantly to manage your network connections, security, anti-virus, etc... cannot be removed or disabled. In Linux, you have many choices of background environment and many options for background services.

My understanding is that a Linux distribution specifically designed to be efficient, with a small set of default background services and a very resource efficient graphical environment like LXDE or XFCE, will use less memory than Windows XP. Windows XP worked fine with 512 MB of RAM when it was originally launched, but as Microsoft added new features and security fixes it became more resource-hungry, and if you're running Windows XP service pack 3 with all of the security updates, I'm shocked it will run in 512 MB of RAM at all.

As for web browsers, I am a Firefox fan and have used it since it launched. However, the Google Chrome browser and the version without the Google brand on it called Chromium are generally a little faster, a little less prone to crashing, and a little more memory efficient. The difference isn't huge, so on my plenty-powerful computer I still use Firefox. But if I was working against a very low memory limit, I would switch to Chrome or Chromium.

With respect to the RAM, it will be hard to find or dramatically overpriced if you buy it from Best Buy, Amazon.com, etc... However, at least in my area of the world (Pennsylvania, USA) there are computer recycling centers that have old PC parts available for $1-$5 per component. If I had a place to put it, I could get a 15 inch old LCD monitor for $20. Likewise flea markets / swap meets might have what you need very cheaply.

Go to the store and buy a pack of CDs or DVDs and download and try out a few distros. Some you can check out on Live CDs before you install.

+! to everything Elija said. Usethhe Full iso. It fits on 700MB cd pr cdrw. Plop boot manager cd works with it if wanting to use a usb with no bios boot support.
    I know because I did this on the IBM T23 to install AntiX. Check your ram usage in conky (the monitor in top right hand of screen) after a bootup in Icewm at idle. You will be surprised how much ram is being used.

Flash will work out of the box. If you install it. Post a

Code:
    inxi -Fxz
    from terminal. No need to be root to run the command.

The big difference between base and full iso.
    No wicd, Icewm, Synaptic, just to name a few left out of base including certain musiic players and video players and tools.
    Being a new user. I say no to you using the base as you have the hard drive space to run full and you wll miss having synaptic package manager which is a asset for new users. apt-get command line is beyond your skill set yet.

Wicd makes it easy to connect wireless also but ceni is in base but ceni is a command line terminal type of Network Manager.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8WO8NaM2tM

All the how tos I am posting are done with the AntiX 13 Full Iso. So again. Use that one.
    Last edited by rokytnji; 06-25-2013 at 03:52 PM.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    The main difference is in the applications pre-installed. Full will give a complete desktop out of the box, base will require you to install the applications you want and core is for complete control freaks* so as a newcomer to the Linux world, I would recommend grabbing a copy of the full version. It's harder to know what you want when you don't really know what's out there yet

* Disclaimer: I don't use Antix myself but that's how I read it on their site!
    thx you i'm much clearer now... i will go for full iso anyway they dont are too big, many of them are less that 800mb

Quote Originally Posted by theCimmerian View Post
    Maybe what I am about to write is already known to you, but I'll write it just in case: in Windows, your graphical environment is the one that Microsoft packages with the computer, and most of the background programs that run constantly to manage your network connections, security, anti-virus, etc... cannot be removed or disabled. In Linux, you have many choices of background environment and many options for background services.

My understanding is that a Linux distribution specifically designed to be efficient, with a small set of default background services and a very resource efficient graphical environment like LXDE or XFCE, will use less memory than Windows XP. Windows XP worked fine with 512 MB of RAM when it was originally launched, but as Microsoft added new features and security fixes it became more resource-hungry, and if you're running Windows XP service pack 3 with all of the security updates, I'm shocked it will run in 512 MB of RAM at all.

As for web browsers, I am a Firefox fan and have used it since it launched. However, the Google Chrome browser and the version without the Google brand on it called Chromium are generally a little faster, a little less prone to crashing, and a little more memory efficient. The difference isn't huge, so on my plenty-powerful computer I still use Firefox. But if I was working against a very low memory limit, I would switch to Chrome or Chromium.

With respect to the RAM, it will be hard to find or dramatically overpriced if you buy it from Best Buy, Amazon.com, etc... However, at least in my area of the world (Pennsylvania, USA) there are computer recycling centers that have old PC parts available for $1-$5 per component. If I had a place to put it, I could get a 15 inch old LCD monitor for $20. Likewise flea markets / swap meets might have what you need very cheaply.
    yes bro that why i want to give a chance of jump to Linux coz in this machine XP's run slow even when try to work or read a PDF, listen music... i remove the Antivirus now coz was imposible to use this Pc scanning every file. About RAM this machine is using DDR400 (PC-3200) and here in Chile there is not much offers on this old stuff but i see few one's of 1gb that are around 20 - 35 dollars, maybe i could get one to improved the experience
    Quote Originally Posted by slw210 View Post
    Go to the store and buy a pack of CDs or DVDs and download and try out a few distros. Some you can check out on Live CDs before you install.
    im already downloaded a Lubuntu copy and i will get Antix one for the first try... about this Live CDs stuff how work is like a test environment? i mean can i test the distro without installing?

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    +! to everything Elija said. Usethhe Full iso. It fits on 700MB cd pr cdrw. Plop boot manager cd works with it if wanting to use a usb with no bios boot support.
    I know because I did this on the IBM T23 to install AntiX. Check your ram usage in conky (the monitor in top right hand of screen) after a bootup in Icewm at idle. You will be surprised how much ram is being used.

Flash will work out of the box. If you install it. Post a

Code:
    inxi -Fxz
    from terminal. No need to be root to run the command.

The big difference between base and full iso.
    No wicd, Icewm, Synaptic, just to name a few left out of base including certain musiic players and video players and tools.
    Being a new user. I say no to you using the base as you have the hard drive space to run full and you wll miss having synaptic package manager which is a asset for new users. apt-get command line is beyond your skill set yet.

Wicd makes it easy to connect wireless also but ceni is in base but ceni is a command line terminal type of Network Manager.

youtube.com/watch?v=i8WO8NaM2tM

All the how tos I am posting are done with the AntiX 13 Full Iso. So again. Use that one.
    Thx again bro for be so friendly, about this Conky ulility this will tell me how my memo's work on the system and help me to improve the usage of them? can you explain me more about this?

Yes, Live CD lets you test and run without installing.

The LiveCD List

Just Joined!

Linux distro on older PC

Quote Originally Posted by aLeD4x View Post
    Hi there, im new here and of course in Linux world's too... well the question is that a few days ago i get a BSOD on win7 x64 the third on current year this time was something related to a driver (HID) to be specific and i cant startup windows normally without getting the freaking BSOD every 5 or 10 minutes... i try everything to make the system back with no successful after this i go where my cousin and he's give to me a old PC to use which have win XP sp3 but run like **** so he told me that i could try make it work with some Linux distro but i don't have idea which one can this Pc handled, one friend say me that an good option can be Lubuntu 12.10 but i dont know if this can run well on this machine?

Pentium 4 2.26 Ghz
    512 RAM Note that this might not always give you the latest stable Tor version, but you will receive important security fixes. To make sure that you're running the latest stable version of Tor, see option two below.

20 GB hard disk ( i got another of 80gb)
    Ati Radeon 9250 128 mb

i want to try first how Linux is coz many people say is a lot more stable that any windows version but i want to test before to make a swipe
    PS: sorry for the bad English is not my mother language
    thx in advance for your suggestions
    ============
    I run Lubuntu 12.04 LTS on a laptop with identical specs incl 20GB Hard drive The result is not lightning fast but quite OK for daily use incl Skype ,Music ,Libre Office ,Firefox ,Thunderbird ,etc.
    Earlier I used Lubuntu 10.04 on this machine,which was a bit faster.

Suggest you add RAM on your machine if that is possible .

Frank in northern Scotland

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by slw210 View Post
    Yes, Live CD lets you test and run without installing.

livecdlist.com/]The LiveCD List
    thx for clarified

Quote Originally Posted by highlandham View Post
    ============
    I run Lubuntu 12.04 LTS on a laptop with identical specs incl 20GB Hard drive The result is not lightning fast but quite OK for daily use incl Skype ,Music ,Libre Office ,Firefox ,Thunderbird ,etc.
    Earlier I used Lubuntu 10.04 on this machine,which was a bit faster.

Suggest you add RAM on your machine if that is possible .

Frank in northern Scotland
    i downloaded the Lubuntu 12.10... maybe it will be a bit more heavy than yours but i don't loose anything testing! i will use this like a transition for a make a move to Linux plataform coz i totally dissapointed of Windows issues and i always hear that Linux is more stable, efficent and simple to fix troubles that Windows one (specially those BSOD's )

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast