Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hi there, im new here and of course in Linux world's too... well the question is that a few days ago i get a BSOD on win7 x64 the third ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wich distro can handled this PC

Hi there, im new here and of course in Linux world's too... well the question is that a few days ago i get a BSOD on win7 x64 the third on current year this time was something related to a driver (HID) to be specific and i cant startup windows normally without getting the freaking BSOD every 5 or 10 minutes... i try everything to make the system back with no successful after this i go where my cousin and he's give to me a old PC to use which have win XP sp3 but run like **** so he told me that i could try make it work with some Linux distro but i don't have idea which one can this Pc handled, one friend say me that an good option can be Lubuntu 12.10 but i dont know if this can run well on this machine?

Pentium 4 2.26 Ghz
    512 RAM
    20 GB hard disk ( i got another of 80gb)
    Ati Radeon 9250 128 mb

i want to try first how Linux is coz many people say is a lot more stable that any windows version but i want to test before to make a swipe
    PS: sorry for the bad English is not my mother language
    thx in advance for your suggestions

Linux Guru
    Should be no problem. See the Lubuntu site below which has minimum system/hardware requirements.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu

You can also go to the distrowatch site and get more info: DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

Some other possibilities are macpup, slacko and slax.

Just Joined!
    @yancek thx for reply, i read this from here help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu#System_requirements
    "With 512MB of RAM, you don't need to worry much.

The default "Desktop" installer requires 384-800 MB of RAM (depending on selected options.) If you have problems, please use the "Alternate" installer."
    so i need to choice the alternate installer version for a better performance? or the default one will run well?

which distro can be the best option for a beginner on Linux i see SliTaz have a lot good references too

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Unofficial Linux Mint 13 LXDE released!

Mints version of LXDE, (jusr for info) and you can get by with the graphical installer in a P4 with 512MB of ram. Alternate install iso though should not be intimidating from what I remember in older days when I tried it and did not have a clue on what I was doing.

Slitaz like Antix <which I run>. Takes a little more skill than Mint or Ubuntu. They will run faster though.

You probably already know this, but I'll mention it just in case--that old Pentium 4 is a 32 bit processor, so don't even try to install a 64 bit OS on it.

I have numerous computers with specs similar to that computer. 512 megs of RAM is not very comfortable with Ubuntu, but Debian is more efficient. I would install Debian, with the XFCE desktop option. (When you install, you can select a different desktop environment in advanced options.)

I used to recommend Ubuntu rather than Debian for beginners, but it's really gone downhill with Ubuntu 12.04 and Debian 7 is great.

Either way, look up how to install restricted firmware in order to get the most of the Radeon 9250 card. Most of my computers have similar Ati Radeon cards. Those older Radeon cards work with the built in open source drivers, rather than the official Ati driver (which only supports newer Ati cards). But the firmware itself is restricted source rather than open source. I can help with installing the restricted firmware in either Debian or Ubuntu. Things will work if you don't install the firmware, but you won't have full hardware accelerated graphics.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    linuxmint.pl/lista-artykuow/1-latest-news/316-unofficial-linux-mint-13-lxde-released.html]Unofficial Linux Mint 13 LXDE released!

Mints version of LXDE, (jusr for info) and you can get by with the graphical installer in a P4 with 512MB of ram. Alternate install iso though should not be intimidating from what I remember in older days when I tried it and did not have a clue on what I was doing.

Slitaz like Antix <which I run>. Takes a little more skill than Mint or Ubuntu. They will run faster though.
    that Mints ver. look so nice but the requirements say:
    384 MB RAM (1GB recommended for a comfortable usage). maybe i have some problems with it

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacKuo View Post
    You probably already know this, but I'll mention it just in case--that old Pentium 4 is a 32 bit processor, so don't even try to install a 64 bit OS on it.

I have numerous computers with specs similar to that computer. 512 megs of RAM is not very comfortable with Ubuntu, but Debian is more efficient. I would install Debian, with the XFCE desktop option. (When you install, you can select a different desktop environment in advanced options.)

I used to recommend Ubuntu rather than Debian for beginners, but it's really gone downhill with Ubuntu 12.04 and Debian 7 is great.

Either way, look up how to install restricted firmware in order to get the most of the Radeon 9250 card. Most of my computers have similar Ati Radeon cards. Those older Radeon cards work with the built in open source drivers, rather than the official Ati driver (which only supports newer Ati cards). But the firmware itself is restricted source rather than open source. I can help with installing the restricted firmware in either Debian or Ubuntu. Things will work if you don't install the firmware, but you won't have full hardware accelerated graphics.
    so your suggestion is Debian before Lubuntu but the cons would be is a lil harder to use, about Ati drivers can you explained more detailed this "if i dont install the firmware" pls
    thx a lot for reply's guys!

Just Joined!
    One thing to note with 512 MB of RAM is that web browsers use lots of RAM. So while your computer will probably run very nicely with the LXDE or XFCE desktop environment, a web browser like Chrome/Chromium or Firefox will start to slow down if you have more than a few fancy websites open at any one time.

On the other hand, if you research the computer you have, you may be able to get additional RAM cheaply or even for free at a local PC recycling center. Maybe you can jump from 512 to 1024.

Linux Guru
    maybe i have some problems with it
    warning labels never stopped me from trying anything. Example: Jack Daniels. "I would rather have loved and lost. Then to never have loved at all".

That is part of what my signature, "Lead,follow,or get the hell out of my way" stands for. All the reviews for AntiX said back i the day it was only
    for advanced users.

Glad I did not Listen to them or anybody else. So the gist of what I am trying to say is,

"You won't know till you try"

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    warning labels never stopped me from trying anything. Example: Jack Daniels. "I would rather have loved and lost. Then to never have loved at all".

That is part of what my signature, "Lead,follow,or get the hell out of my way" stands for. All the reviews for AntiX said back i the day it was only
    for advanced users.

Glad I did not Listen to them or anybody else. So the gist of what I am trying to say is,

"You won't know till you try"
    i know bro but i need some orientation coz im completely new in this Linux environment.
    antiX is based on debian and @IsaacKuo say a debian distro could be more stable an efficient maybe i will a try to this but im lil worry about Radeon drivers compatibility!

@theCimmerian you are right at now in this winXP machine open more that four tabs on Mozilla Firefox is a huge deal, i will look if i can get some more RAM too but would be difficult coz is very old PC

Linux Guru
    but im lil worry about Radeon drivers compatibility!
    Not to worry. You are going to make me go back out to my wireless AntiX motorcycle shop desktop and post a inxi -G report on the ati chip I have on a Emachine Desktop computer I dug out of a dumpster and turned into a Media Center. That has a rolling release Debian Unstable AntiX 11 base install on it.

The open source Radeon driver is what you want in that old laptop and that driver is available in any Debian linux based distro.
    From Mint/ubuntu to Antix to a Net install of Debian which I think Isaac Kuo is referring to also. Next post coming in a few as
    I go open my shop.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast