Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By yancek
I have been trying to install an OS on a flash drive to test on different computers. The only problem is that when I do it seems to install grub ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fixing grub

I have been trying to install an OS on a flash drive to test on different computers. The only problem is that when I do it seems to install grub on the flash drive or something because when I try and run the computer without the flash drive plugged in I get :

error: no such device: xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx.
    entering rescue mode.
    grub rescue>_

I have linux mint and windows 7 installed on the hard drive and would like to know how to restore back to when the mint grub was working. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Edit: If anyone could also explain how I can install different OSes on flash drives without it messing with my hard drive I would appreciate it.

Linux Guru
    Very common problem. The behavior you explain would indicate that you have installed the bootloader to the master boot record of your internal hard drive of the computer rather than to the mbr of the flash drive. During the installation of Mint, you should see an "Installation Type" window and near the bottom you can select Device for bootloader installation. The default is to the mbr of the first hard drive (/dev/sda). The error you get is because that small part of the Grub bootloader in the mbr is looking for a device (that's a uuid number) that isn't available because you don't have your flash drive attached.

Select the option to boot Mint from the hard drive and once there open a terminal and run this: sudo grub-install /dev/sda. That is if your computer has only one hard drive which contain Mint/windows. It may not be sda.

Using unetbootin or pendrivelinux would be the easiest way to create a bootable flash drive. There are versions for Linux and windows so you can do it from Mint or windows 7.
    JaredC likes this.

Just Joined!
    Ok thank you for your help that seems to have solved the problem. However I can't use either of those programs because I am creating a custom build for a thinclient.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close