Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Yes it is. I tried downloading 12.04 and 13 and all I got was read products. How do I download the program? Tried getting that Mint Linux and it was ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Yes it is. I tried downloading 12.04 and 13 and all I got was read products. How do I download the program? Tried getting that Mint Linux and it was just for read only.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    This link will download an iso for Xubuntu 12.04. This is supported for three years since release so it's good for a while yet. This link will help with preparing your dvd ready to install. If you have any important data on the computer, it is important to take a back up before installing a new OS.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Also. Since you say the computer has usb boot support in bios. You can make a live usb instead of a dvd using Xubuntu Live usb creator in System on the taskbar.

You will need a 1 or 2 gig Fat32 empty USB drive for this however. Maybe Beg Borrow Or Steal from the neighbor. Just kidding of course.

Ubuntu Live USB creator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The tool is included by default in all releases after Ubuntu 8.04
    Don't stress. We will get you to be a expert yet on getting Linux installed and Working good on your computer. You just need a current version that will download updates and upgrades online.

Edit: also your concerns about read only. Operating Sytems Iso files are read only by default. Do not concern your self with that.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Thank you so much for all your help! I only have recordable CD-Rom's from Staples, so guess I will have to go buy some DVD's.

Quote Originally Posted by vocaldix View Post
    Thank you so much for all your help! I only have recordable CD-Rom's from Staples, so guess I will have to go buy some DVD's.
    So no Usb flash drive available huh?
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    No, but they sell them across the street at Kinko's for $10. Could get one but never have used one before. Is it hard to do?

Just Joined!
    Got one and have downloaded 13. Now to see if it works. Seems my mouse wouldn't work with 12 and if doesn't with 13 I guess I will be stuck with 10.04. Wonder if something is wrong with my hardware in this tower? Thanks everyone.

Just Joined!
    I give up and will not bother you again I am stuck with Xubuntu 10.04. Had 12 and 13 on CD-Rom and USB flash drive. Something must be wrong with this tower or my BIOS. Tried to reboot and reinstall either one both ways. Just had black screen with cursor flashing. Nothing happened. Wouldn't work! So, rebooted again and then 10.04 would not come up! Had to put in the 10.04 CD and click on Reboot from hard disk. When I got this tower when it was XP 2 years ago, the lady I bought it from said her father-in-law could not shut down. It reboots itself when you try. I always had to do hard shut down of clicking off monitor and tower and click them back on to boot up again. When I did it this time, had no system come up and had to reinstall 10.04! grrr.....So, all I can do is just log off and leave all on all the time or won't boot up again. Guess I need a new tower.

Guess I need a new tower.
    Crap. Sorry to hear that. This is on my watch list at ebay in case you are interested. I have plenty of Desktop computers so I probably won't buy it. My last Desktop came out of a Dumpster for free.

I have a idea. Reset bios to defaults. Maybe the hard shutdowns and reboots are a scrambled bios setting.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    It was sold but thank you. How do I reset the bios? I have gone to F1 to the BIOS settings before. It lists "floppy" as my first drive, which I do not have. It lists cd-rom as second one. The first drawer on the tower that comes out is for installing software. Second one supposed to be for music cd's but it is broken. Came that way. Thank you for trying to help me. Been on computers 10 years and am 63 so learned on my own here.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast