Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
I can only use Xubuntu 10.04. My neighbor gave me the disk to install after my XP went down. It wouldn't boot up and kept trying. Something about my ACPI ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hi I'm Dixie an ex-XP user

I can only use Xubuntu 10.04. My neighbor gave me the disk to install after my XP went down. It wouldn't boot up and kept trying. Something about my ACPI wasn't compliant? I am 63 and on social security disability. Been on computers 10 years and only used windows OS. 2Gig of RAM. My neighbor also gave me the 12.04 Ubuntu disk. When I installed it, my USB mouse wouldn't work. So, I am stuck with 10.04 and cannot install anything or get updates. At least I can check email. Cannot view videos or music videos. What do I do?

I cannot afford to buy another computer right now and guess will have to save up $10 a month for years lol. I downloaded drivermanager.exe onto a cd-rom and ran it. It said all my drivers were ancient and outdated. Could not afford to pay to update them. Any help would be appreciated.

Linux Guru
    You might post more details on what happens with the mouse, doesn't work at all as in frozen, jumps all over the screen, etc.
    If you downloaded and used the drivermanager.exe file and you only had Xubuntu installed I would expect the output. Anything with an "exe" extension will only run on windows. Windows default installs will not recognize Linux filesystems and you won't get accurate information.
    You could get a PS2 mouse, a lot cheaper than a new computer.

You should be able to view videos or play music with a default install of Xubuntu. What happens when your try?

Just Joined!

Hi I'm Dixie

thanks. It is a PS2 mouse and came with a driver. Bought it at Staples back in 2007. It's a: wheel mouse optical USB and PS/2 compatible. Could not install the driver. It works fine on 10.04. I am using it now. On 12.04, the cursor doesn't move and disappears. Cannot click on anything on the desktop. What do you mean about a default install? Thank you.

Linux Guru
    The file you reference in your initial post (drivermanager.exe) is a windows executable file and only works on windows and you won't get any useful results when you have a Linux system installed as windows doesn't recognize Linux filesystems. That's probably why you got the results you did. If you tried to install a windows driver from a CD that came with the mouse, that won't work either for the same reason. Who is the manufacturer of the mouse?

Howdy and Welcome Dixie.

It is a PS2 mouse and came with a driver
    Basic Linux 101. The kernel in Ubuntu supplies the mouse driver. The driver cd that came with the mouse is for Windows and probably ends with a .exe and is useless for a newbie in Linux.
    In other words. Only use the cd in Windows.

I commend your neighbor for helping out and downloading and burning Linux media for you.
    How ever. Because of this. No md5sum checks were probably done and we can't tell if the Ubuntu 12 disk is a faulty download or a bad burn on why the mouse does not work in it.
    You have a working internet connection I take it since you are posting here OK.

So. In Ubuntu 10.04LTS. What happens when you open a terminal and type in

sudo apt-get update
    and hit the enter key? Then go to Update Manager. Do any updates show? Edit: I forgot. You might have to hit the check button for updates to show.
    @yaneck. I am not sure but I think

Ubuntu ? Details of package ubuntu-restricted-extras in lucid

does not come installed by default in Xubuntu 10.04. Like I said. I can't swear to that though. I wish the Neighbor had given Dixie a Linux Mint 13 "Maya" Xfce Edition instead.

Linux Mint 13 "Maya" - Xfce (32-bit) - Linux Mint

Which comes with all the codecs pre-installed in the iso/distro.

Some Help for You that you may need to learn how to drive your new operating system.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sw...tu/FromWindows

Ubuntu:Lucid -

Unfortunately

Lucid Lynx is an LTS (Long Term Support) release. It will be supported with security updates until April 2013 for the desktop version
    But maybe the non security updates are still in force. I hope.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    the manufacturer is microsoft

Just Joined!
    I need a study book. What is the terminal and how do I use it? Are there instructions on this website somewhere? Sorry to be a pain but at 63 this is new to me. My next-door neighbor Ben made copies of both 10.04 and 12.04 for me. Guess he downloaded them? He has a laptop. Don't know what OS he uses. I will click on the links given and try to do that terminal and get back to you.

Just Joined!
    I did that above in terminal. got: password Dixie. No updates are available. Got those when installed Xubuntu 10.04. My ISP is Comcast fast access cable broadband. I am going to try downloading the systems you gave above on a cd-rom will that work? Do not know why my mouse will not work on 12.04. I could try it from this website but then if it still doesn't work I would have to install 10.04 again and select use entire disk. Also, it is hard for me to see the print and do not know how to enlarge it.

Quote Originally Posted by vocaldix View Post
    I did that above in terminal. got: password Dixie. No updates are available. Got those when installed Xubuntu 10.04. My ISP is Comcast fast access cable broadband. I am going to try downloading the systems you gave above on a cd-rom will that work? Do not know why my mouse will not work on 12.04. I could try it from this website but then if it still doesn't work I would have to install 10.04 again and select use entire disk. Also, it is hard for me to see the print and do not know how to enlarge it.
    DVD
    Size 811MB

Nope. Is the computer usb bootable in bios?
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast